LegacyGT.com

California and Car Wax

California is freaking ridicules!!!! I just tried to order a bottle of Wolfgang Sealant and I get the following message from the vendor:

"It has come to my attention that, for the time being, we are not

permitted to ship Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant along with a handful of

other car wax products into the state of California at the present

time. This has to do with VOC regulations and the amount of VOC's in car

care products."

Last week there was that article that the police are going to crack down on 'modded' cars, we all ready have crappy gas and now this!!!!

Oh well, any suggestions on a California safe sealant??? The vendor recommended Poorboys EX-P, has anyone had success with that?

Thanks

wow... that is harsh. I know that a lot of waxes recently had to undergo reformulations to meet VOC compliance standards. The amount of solvent in most car care products makes it tough to sell in california. Try www.autopia-carcare.com and see what they have. They are based in California so it is likely that whatever they sell is going to be ok. I would also suggest calling the vendor you tried to order from and get some alternate suggestions. I don't know that many sealants have undergone any VOC changes, but you can always ask. I knew carnaubas were going to be affected, but I had no idea the sealants wouldn't be allowed in too. That is really going to make it tough on detailers in California...

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

What about Mequiar's NXT tech wax? Is that available in CA? I'm becoming a big fan of that wax, looks good, lasts longer than any other wax I've used (never compared it to sealants though).

It's def available in CA... bought myself the liquid version about two weeks ago from Target. I'm sure I've seen every product for the NXT line for sale here (car wash, wax, etc).

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I talked to Dwayne at PremiumAutoCare.com yesterday about this. He said that some products like Wolfgang are being kept out right now simply because California hasn't tested them for VOC compliance yet. I'm sure they will be let in as soon as they get tested. Products from Poorboy's and Klasse among others have already been tested and approved. Others are on the way.

If you see NXT on the shelf then it has been approved. It isn't really a 'wax' in the true sense of the word. NXT is a synthetic and there isn't any actual carnauba wax in it. NXT is a sealant. A pretty good one too, I might add. I'm a fan.

Synthetics aren't going to have the problem that waxes will have. Klasse Sealant Glaze has remained unchanged for decades and it was approved. It is the solvent levels in carnaubas that are the problem. Carnauba is hard as a rock in raw form. The amount of solvent to soften it to a usable product on cars is pretty high. Sealants don't need that much solvent and will likely be approved much quicker without reformulation than waxes will.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived