LegacyGT.com

Door speaker mounting depth

I ordered some door speakers for all four doors of my 98 gt. It sounds like some people have had to buy 1/2" spacers or liftrings to get the back of the speaker to clear the window, depending on how deep their aftermarket speakers are.

Does anyone know the depth that can be fit back there without a spacer? Are the front and back doors different? Mine will be 2" deep when top mounted. I want to figure out if I should order them while I'm still waiting for the speakers to get here instead of risking getting half way into it and running into a problem.

Thanks!

I am not sure about your rear doors cuz mine are in the deck lid but I have 6.75" in the front doors and there's plenty of room behind them. Even with my larger Focals there's still and couple of inches. Get ya some Dynamat and put a 8-12" square piece behind the door speakers on the door itself. The sound quality is a lot better. I even put some Dynamat on the door where the speaker sits and it's about 2" larger then the speaker diameter. On my 96 L I had those protectors that sandwich between the speaker and door, they are to prevent water from getting on them. They work at that but make the SQ kinda crappy.

Archived