LegacyGT.com

Finally Test Drove GT

Well i finally got in a GT sedan today but too bad it was Auto, If i get the car it is going to be a manual for sure. Well anyways it was a limited GT and it felt pretty good. I liked the low end torque but that was about it. It didn't Really feel like it had 250 hp. Anyone know if the manual is a tremendous difference? Or is it just a bit quicker? Overall I like the car alot and im coming from a 2002 v6 vw passat. I really look foward to driving the manual.

I haven't driven both to compare, but when I drove two FXT's, one 5MT, other 4EAT, there was a bit of a difference. While the Auto was definitely better than I thought, it still wasn't on par with the auto. Get your hands on a manual if you can before you order purchase to make sure it's exactly what you want (or close to.)

I also recently test drove a Legacy GT limited, but a five speed. My current car is a '98 Honda Accord EX 4-cyl auto. and my wife drives an '01 VW GTi 1.8t. Both of our cars are lightly modded. This is the car I've had my eye on for a while now. It seemed to offer a lot for the money and I must admit that I was somewhat let down when I drove it. It certainly didn't feel like 250 h.p. - I was really let down by the lack of power below 3,000 rpm, which is where the turbo seems to kick in. This car feels laggy compared to the GTi (which is chipped and starts making boost around 2,000 rpm) and it felt significantly slower as well at any engine speed in any gear. The other annoyance came from the engine compartment. The car was quiet (although by no means the quietest car I've been in) except for that signature engine sound - it was very noticeable and filtered right into the cabin - sounded just like my mom's old '83 GL. I also found the engine rough and buzzy compared to either the Honda or VW. On an up note the car is deceptively fast, if not quick. Many times during the test drive I found myself traveling 10-15 mph faster than I thought I was (not in accelleration, but straightline steady speed.) That could be a bad thing! Interior was nice, but not a revelation in my book - a step in the right direction, but I'm sorry to say it is still not VW or Audi in materials - maybe in fit and finish. Suspension seemed reasonable - I was impressed at the level of firmness for a car sold in the U.S. Transmission and clutch actuation was light and precise with short throws, but I found the shifter location to be awkward. Controls for HVAC/Stereo are very nice and precise, but the stereo system leaves something to be desired in sound quality and unfortunately it looks as if Subaru has made a difficult time of fitting anything aftermarket in the dash (seems to be a trend these days.) Overall I liked the car, but I'm holding out. I thought the test drive would seal the deal and have me leaving the showroom with a new car, but now I'm just not sure.

Well this car certainly isn't for everyone. To each there own. I felt it was quick but not as fast as everyone made it out to be too, but I do realize the hidden potential versus my 98 Accord. Im pretty sure 3K in mods on this car will make it alot faster and drivable versus 3K in mods on an Accord.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I have to say that this car is as fast as everyone is saying from a few test drives and trying a friend's that is broken in. The problem, as has been stated many times, is the deceptiveness of said speed. Most are used to more noise, and a torque curve that is not flat. Flat torque curves are deceptive because the car does not "suddenly" get quicker. It accelerates quickly, at one rate. Just look at the repeated comments about how everyone was faster than they expected. Yes, that means it is quiet, but you had to get there with out noticing it. Your butt is used to feeling the growing acceleration to a point. The new car accelerates very linearly, to a point well beyond the old car, so it doesn't zoom to speed, it just gets there. Fast. (with you thinking you are at a lower speed) Cars with torque curves like this don't feel like anything else out there. A V-8 with big numbers usually still continues to push harder as the rpms rise (to a point depending on design and breathing). A chipped 1.8T definitely has the creeping acceleration. A flat long Torque curve doesn't, but that doesn't mean it's not quick. Drive one against a car you think is faster...... Ted
:spin:

biz77 "felt significantly slower as well at any engine speed in any gear." but "the car is deceptively fast, if not quick. Many times during the test drive I found myself traveling 10-15 mph faster than I thought I was " what praedet said!

I've driven both the auto and MT. he auto isn't bad by any means, but as with any auto if you go to really get on it there is sometimes that moment of hesitation while the car takes a second to realize you mean to go fast and kicks the transmission down a gear. i often woder if this isn't what some people are preceiving as "turbo lag", since I didn't notice significant lag when I drove it. Then too, different cars drive differently/some cars you drive differently to get their full potential. I have seen people say how difficult it is to get the power from a wrx and how awful the lag is, when the truth of the matter is that if you know how to drive it, thw wrx is easy to keep the power on and there is virtually no lag--but you need to know how to keep the rpm's in the sweet spot and where/when to shift, etc. This is different on every car. Going from one type of car to another often means a short learning curve to learn how that car performs best. As far as the speed of the GT--I think you touched on some important points yourself. Often you don't realize how fast you are going in it. This is a combo of how quiet it is and also the smooth power delivery. In comparison to my wrx I would say the GT is pretty compaable, but it feels different getting there. Also, the gearing seems a bit different--it doesn't necessarily have as strong of a first gear, possibly even second as the wrx, but the 3rd gear in the GT gets LOTS of power down. I would suspect that this is more in its GT character for 45-70 passing power when cruising. As others have said, I think it is also perception. My wrx was much louder and the power would come on much differently, which might give some the illusion of more speed. But on the same roads I was getting to the same places as quickly, and not having to use nearly as much pedal to do it in the GT. We also haver many steep hills here, and ones that would have required a downshift in my wrx the GT hardly seems to notice, even in 5th gear. (My first several cars were v-8's, and even some of them would bog a bit on some of these hills or need a downshift).

Okay now here's a question for 5EAT 2.5GT owners - when you're in sportshift mode in a gear and you press the pedal down is there instant response? There should be if there's a direct connection. There should only be hesitation if in pure automatic mode. When in, say, 3rd gear in sportshift, the engine should immediately respond when you push the gas, where as in auto mode it might hesitate to determine if the percentage you depressed the pedal is enough to tell it to drop down to 2nd or not. edit : "Further enhancing quick throttle response in all 2005 Legacy and Outback models is an Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system that eliminates the physical linkage between the throttle pedal and the engine." That doesn't bode well, but we'll see on the test drive...

[quote name='thatmank']Yes, when in Sport shift mode you are "IN" the gear and get instant response. Changing gears takes a second though.[/quote] Good to hear! The delay in gear change is normal though, even for some sports cars. The actual change is quick but the delay between pushing and releasing the level and it changing can often take half a second or so.

Well I have owned my GT 5EAT for a week, so it still is not broken in IE being kept under 4000 rpm. Economy mode is great cuse it really does economise, yet for regular driving on the highway it is just fine. Sports mode is well sportier the upshifts are done at a higher rpm and the car is quicker to respond. You do need to have the car reving in sports mode for the car to pull. Sports manual-well it shifts when you ask it to it is not as fast as a stick but it does everything a stick can do really, you just have to plan a little when you down shift if you have not braked as you should when you down shift or you are naturally going slower and have fallen in or out of the torque band then the motor will also slow the car down, having said that the torque band is wider than on the WRX. Now it should hold the rpm till redline but if you wait till then you will end up being in an area where the car produces no more toque and the time it will take for the car to upshift will be lost time when the car will not be moving much, what i have been doing is allowing about 250rpm to upshift. Ie I allow the transmission about 250 rpm to change gears and generally I amwhere I want to be in the torque band. Again I have not really pushed the car. Speed the car is fast, it is a tourer not a rally car. this car is not about take off and acceleration, it does do these things well but not as well as an STI or WRX. However once it is launched the car is really deceptivly fast, I was doing 140kmh at 3500 rpm in 4 gear in the WRX you would need to be at lease at 4000 rpm. Again I really do think it is perception. I think this car is very capable as a GT (Grand Tourer) and it is not a WRX thank god! Do not get me wrong I loved my little WRX it was very fat handeled very well and on loose surfaces was an absolute joy to drive. But the Legacy is a differant car. If people were just expecting a bigger WRX then this is not the car. I sure what I am saying is nothing new but to the guy on the highway that was driving the G-35 I did see him in my rear view trying to figure out what this car was that just whipped past him. :wink:

Before my WRX, I had an A4 1.8t which had some "stage 2" modifications including chip and exhaust. My WRX destroys that car, and while my 5spGT hasn't arrived yet, the several test drives of the car told me it is significantly faster than the Audi and slightly faster (especially off the line) than my WRX. I agree with other posts that what is "missing" is that turbo lag so obvious in the WRX and the 1.8t. I experienced much strong power from down low (compared to other two cars) which continued to pull as revs increased. What was especially pleasant compared to the Audi and WRX was how well the car accelerated from a stop with the AC on! The extra 2.5 liters and torque makes all the difference. I am tired of that "Oh, I might stall" feeling in the WRX when I have to turn on the cold air. Being a long time turbo driver, there will be some getting used to the difference in linear power v. lag explosion. Like others, I was surprised at how quiet the car is compared to the WRX and STI, and noticed I was going much faster than I thought. I'm looking forward the more luxurios ride and I'm glad it's not another WRX. The new GT reminds me most of an Audi 200 I owned which had a prototype original S4 engine (I5 making 240HP).

It was deceptive AT SPEED not in acceleration. It felt slow and it was VERY laggy in spool-up compared to the 1.8t. I'm certain the GTi, although not stock, would show the Sube its taillights quite easily. I imagine the AWD would get it off the line quicker, but in a quarter mile run it would be over. The GTi consistently traps 98-101mph. Yes I'm certain it is faster and it FEELS far faster. The new Legacy is a great car it just posses some qualities that annoy me, so for now I will pass on it. Don't take any of this as a bash on the car - it is just my opinion.

[quote name='biz77']It was deceptive AT SPEED not in acceleration. It felt slow and it was VERY laggy in spool-up compared to the 1.8t. I'm certain the GTi, although not stock, would show the Sube its taillights quite easily. I imagine the AWD would get it off the line quicker, but in a quarter mile run it would be over. The GTi consistently traps 98-101mph. Yes I'm certain it is faster and it FEELS far faster. The new Legacy is a great car it just posses some qualities that annoy me, so for now I will pass on it. Don't take any of this as a bash on the car - it is just my opinion.[/quote] Just because it's trap speed is higher does not mean it's quicker than the GT.

[quote name='biz77']It was deceptive AT SPEED not in acceleration. It felt slow and it was VERY laggy in spool-up compared to the 1.8t. I'm certain the GTi, although not stock, would show the Sube its taillights quite easily. I imagine the AWD would get it off the line quicker, but in a quarter mile run it would be over. The GTi consistently traps 98-101mph. Yes I'm certain it is faster and it FEELS far faster. The new Legacy is a great car it just posses some qualities that annoy me, so for now I will pass on it. Don't take any of this as a bash on the car - it is just my opinion.[/quote] Hmm, so you are comparing your modded car to a stock car and saying your modded car is faster...interesting...

Archived