LegacyGT.com

Thinking of replacing the LGT wagon

Hello all. Recently I have been toying with the idea of replacing my 2005 LGT wagon unlimited 5EAT with something new. I have toyed with the idea of stage 2 to re-inspire the car but I'd rather not have a stage 2 auto. Here are a couple of my ideas thus far;

BMW s50 swapped e30

Audi b5/b6 a4/s4 advant or possibly a c5 a6 advant/allroad

BMW e28

Audi tt alms

BMW e46 330i ZHP

older ideas;

Mercedes Benz w123 Turbo Diesel

Mercedes Benz 280

BMW 2002

MGB GT

Austin Mini

I like the idea of staying with the AWD/turbo platform but I'm open to pretty much anything at this point. Financially, I'm going to have to keep it around $15,000 and regarding maintenance on the german cars, I'm fairly capable myself with normal maintenance which should make ownership costs more reasonable.

Let me know what you guys think!

"I'm fairly capable myself with normal maintenance which should make ownership costs more reasonable. "

Famous last words. You better be VERY capable with a wrench or have deep pockets. Seriously, your list is a whose who of maintenance and repair nightmares. I would also have a second car on standby.

Your list is also all over the map and I doubt many on this forum would have much of any experience with many of your choices. A W123 diesel, seriously? Kinda slow and boring IMHO. BMW 2002? LOL, Good luck finding one that isn't mostly turned to iron oxide or clapped out beyond recognition unless you want to pay over $20k for a good one.

If you go with a modest tune (like a OTS Cobb Stage 2 tune) it seems just fine with the 5EAT, fairly inexpensive (could save even more and go used) and if you don't like it it's easy to sell the parts for near what you bought them for. What made you go with a LGT wagon in the first place? If you needed the utility and still do, a number of those choices don't seem to make much sense.

If you go with a modest tune (like a OTS Cobb Stage 2 tune) it seems just fine with the 5EAT, fairly inexpensive (could save even more and go used) and if you don't like it it's easy to sell the parts for near what you bought them for. What made you go with a LGT wagon in the first place? If you needed the utility and still do, a number of those choices don't seem to make much sense.

I bought the LGT wagon initially because I had wanted a wrx/sti but wasn't able to convince the parents after coming from a 2002 Jetta TDI.

A reason why the list seems so random is that I'm pretty young so I don't really have any guidelines for my next vehicle. I love my wagon but I rarely utilize the space.

Regarding the tune, I just don't really see the point in tuning an auto as I'd much rather have a manual.

Why get the 2jz gs when he could get do ls/gs300 or 2grfe/mrs. One does not simply replace gods chariot just anything.

Good thinking. In that case why not get a LGT wagon from a front end wreck, tube frame it, RWD convert it, drop in a big block and call it a day? That sounds fun.

Archived