LegacyGT.com

white smoke from engine cover

Hey,

i have the following problem with my 1993 AWD subaru legacy station wagon. It is running on petrol and is an automatic. When i normally drive there is a white smoke out of the engine cover for the first miles and it smells like burning rubber. There was this problem before half a year ago when i went up really steep hills. There are some oil leaks and a mechanic ones said maybe the smell comes from oil dropping on the hot exaust pipe. The car is also loosing some cooling water but not to much. Also the temperature is never too high.

So do you guys think it is something really dangerous or only a leak in the cooling system?

As you see on my thread i am not a car mechanic otherwise a would not have to askˆˆ Would be happy if someone knows something about this problem. Thanks for all the guys in this forum too, great comunity!!

Hello;

You need to get the timing covers off and do an inspection. From your description, the water pump is failing and starting to lockup. The weep hole is routed outside the cover and could be dripping on the left exhaust manifold while driving. Steven.

Thanks for this tip. Couldn´t check this stuff out jet but as i wrote i had this problem for quite a time now but changed the cambelt in this time. The mechanic checked the waterpump then too but found it ok.Could it be possible that he couldn´t find a mistake in the pump like this?

Archived