LegacyGT.com

i think i just screwed up...

No way, your engine may turn into a diesel car now!!! I would drain it and then flush it 10 times with regular oil just to be sure.

Flush it with low weight oil followed by progessively higher weights, then switch to synthetics with the same thing...but not mobile 1!!!

No way, your engine may turn into a diesel car now!!! I would drain it and then flush it 10 times with regular oil just to be sure.

Flush it with low weight oil followed by progessively higher weights, then switch to synthetics with the same thing...but not mobile 1!!!

I really hope you're being sarcastic.

thanks farb. i already drained it all out and now i'm just going to limp it to the parts store to buy new oil... o.0 dick.

and actually just found a very similar thread on nasioc ... stupid marketing giving me a scare for no good reason. and yeah, it's th 5w-40. thanks for the quick replies.

i can put anything i want down here?!

I really hope you're being sarcastic.

Nope, I really believe that engine will turn into a diesel model.

thanks farb. i already drained it all out and now i'm just going to limp it to the parts store to buy new oil... o.0 dick.

and actually just found a very similar thread on nasioc ... stupid marketing giving me a scare for no good reason. and yeah, it's th 5w-40. thanks for the quick replies.

Good call, that may be the safest option!

BTW, there are also threads here on rotella.

http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=12115812

i get that there are lots of threads on rotella. my concern (which i thought was pretty evident) was that the bottle said 'diesel engine oil' not knowing it was the same as bottles marked 'engine oil', see?

for a thread that bothers you because i didn't use the search function, i gotta ask, why put as much effort into it as you have? seems to me you could'a just ignored it and moved on with your sundayfunday.

i can put anything i want down here?!

A lot of people use rotella t6, and it has shown many very good used oil analyses in turbo subaru motors. The most recent rotella t6 data sheet shows that it is API SM certified, so yes you can use it in a gasoline engine.

Now with that said, I would not recommend rotella or any other heavy duty engine oil, unless you car doesn't consume any oil at all. Why? Because heavy duty engine oils contain extra zinc and phosphorus, which is bad for catalytic converters. So if your car consumes oil, you really shouldn't use a HDEO. If your car doesn't consume oil, then I wouldn't have a problem using a HDEO like rotella.

shell rotella t6 5w-40 data sheet

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T6_5W-40_%28CJ-4%29_%28en-US%29_TDS_v1.pdf

Haha, after posting that reply I remembered a lot LGT owners go catless soo that stuff I said before doesn't matter to them. Though the zinc and phosphorus isn't very good for oxygen sensors either, but at least they're cheaper to replace than catalytic converters.

• I Donated Too
I used Rotella for years and years with no ill effects on the cats, I had the somewhat typical quart of oil every 3000 miles on the stock VF40 - I pulled the cats at 100K and they were absolutely fine. I still think this is the best oil for our cars.

i get that there are lots of threads on rotella. my concern (which i thought was pretty evident) was that the bottle said 'diesel engine oil' not knowing it was the same as bottles marked 'engine oil', see?

for a thread that bothers you because i didn't use the search function, i gotta ask, why put as much effort into it as you have? seems to me you could'a just ignored it and moved on with your sundayfunday.

And my response was so off the walls (which I hoped was pretty evident) that you should have figured it was baloney and that there was nothing to worry about, see?

You would be fine with the 15w40 Rotella, since you're going into the summer months. If you were going into the winter months, then I would say to drain it and add a lighter weight oil.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived