LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Pump Replacement?

Hey guys I'm new to this forum so let me know if I'm breaking any rules of etiquette.

I just bought my first Subaru, a 1998 Legacy L. It is in rough condition and I need to replace the power steering pump. I know this because I can feel play in the steering wheel and I can see the resulting leak both at the pump and on the ground when I turn. I also confirmed this by taking it into a shop for a full inspection.

I downloaded a copy of the Haynes manual and can't find instructions to replace the power steering pump. Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding:

1. How to replace the pump.

2. How to drain and refill the power steering fluid.

3. Any hangups or problems I should be cautious of in the process.

Thanks guys!

Well if you have "play" in the steering wheel the pump isn't the problem. They do allow for a small amount of free play but if its excessive then look at either the steering rack, tie rods, ball joints and bushings. The power steering pumps all tend to start leaking from the front pump seal which is a very easy fix and you don't even have to remove the pump off the car. Just go to your local Subaru dealer and get the seal then remove the belt and nut for the PS pump pulley. Using a smaller hammer tap on the pulley until it becomes loose enough to fully remove. Then with either a seal puller tool or a pick remove the seal from the pump. Place some transmission fluid on the seal and using a socket sized for the seal and a hammer tap the new seal in the pump. Reinstall everything in reverse order. Our cars use Dex 3 transmission fluid NOT regular power steering fluid. Using such will make the seals in the system fail quicker. To flush you'll need to remove the high pressure line directly off the steering rack and start the engine letting all of the fluid out. Reattach the line, fill with Dex and run for 5 mins all while turning the wheel to circulate the fluid. Then do the process over again or until the fluid becomes clean. This is of course if you don't have a professional flushing machine.

I actually was just browsing forums and this seems to be the proper route. I can get an Edelmann PS Repair Kit for $15 shipped. I will have to let you know how it turns out.

Also regarding the play, I just replaced the driver ball joint, passenger CV axle, CV boot and inner tie rod end and my car is currently at the shop for an alignment. Hopefully replacing the seals and flushing the fluid will take care of the problem.

Thanks for the input!

Replacing the seal and flushing the fluid will not fix any free play in the steering wheel, it will only fix the leak. Like I said these cars and almost every vehicle made have a standard amount of allowed free play. How much play are we talking about? I have a small amount in mine and its not to worry about.

Sorry I forgot to mentioned about another possible fluid leak in the same area as the pump. Right behind the pump there's the oil pressure sensor and these also tend to leak. The leak isn't from the threads of the sensor not sealing but it's the sensor itself. Replacing this part is super easy and you might want to take a look at it to determine if the sensor is leaking as well GL.

Archived