LegacyGT.com

A "quiet" exhaust setup; Downpipe and CBE?

K2e2vin

• I Donated
HTA68

JE pistons can't remember the compression ratio.....I did up it

Minor details... :lol:

TRSCobra essentially went from stock exhaust to open downpipe (e-cutout on downpipe) and gained 58whp. Not sure what else he was running.

So you're running the stock VF40, right? :p

It's really pointless to say that without knowing what your other mods are... ;)

by the way if you notice...you got me being a little liberal with my numbers...:rolleyes:

Minor details... :lol:

TRSCobra essentially went from stock exhaust to open downpipe (e-cutout on downpipe) and gained 58whp. Not sure what else he was running.

with the flick of a switch?? i didn't feel much difference from stock to open dp

that was straight from a tuner. the guy knows what he's talking about

Except a stage II tune is NOT 20psi. If you run 20 PSI, prepare to replace the iC.

Furthermore, trying to get 20 psi out of a stock VF40 is crazy. let alone the waste gate issues.

You MAY get 20 psi at a certain point, but once the Turbo reaches a certain RPM , it will cavitate, which has NOTHING to do with back pressure.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

with the flick of a switch?? i didn't feel much difference from stock to open dp

impossible to tune for ....either you tune for open exhaust and it runs like crap when closed ….or tune for closed and gain nothing open.... The only thing I saw that works is a vacuum operated bypass valve…I was thinking about running it myself….then thought to myself “what the F’ am I doing… do I really need an extra 20 something HP with the extra noise?”….My wife confirm my thoughts... I would only end up getting a ticket or in VA jail …

• I Donated
Except a stage II tune is NOT 20psi. If you run 20 PSI, prepare to replace the iC.

Furthermore, trying to get 20 psi out of a stock VF40 is crazy. let alone the waste gate issues.

You MAY get 20 psi at a certain point, but once the Turbo reaches a certain RPM , it will cavitate, which has NOTHING to do with back pressure.

Look carefully at my post. I said specifically that I do NOT have a VF40. ;)

Look carefully at my post. I said specifically that I do NOT have a VF40. ;)

But the OP does have a VF40:lol: So, how do you help him if does not have your turbo set up?

I specifically said stage II. You are what? Stage III or IV:eek: WOW, I would like to have a ride in your monster :);)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

So per everyone's suggestion, I've decided to get a downpipe. The cheapest I could find was a Tomioka catless downpipe(I have a twin-scroll btw) for $450, so I decided to go custom which I was quoted $300 for a catless or $400 for one with a metal-core Magnaflow cat,;both are 3"; I'd just need to supply the flange which is $18 off eBay.

Anyways, I still have the stock exhaust on there and honestly, I just like the way it looks. I've thought about the STi mufflers but looks like a tight fit; and of the aftermarket ones I've seen the Q300 looks nice but more than I want to spend. Does anyone know if the stock mufflers are actually restrictive? I'm thinking about having the shop just install 3" piping all the way to the Y-pipe; but if they're restrictive wouldn't it be better to just have the shop leave the CBE piping alone and just later just upgrade?

Regarding sound, I love a deep tone but do not want anything loud at all(basically silent at idle or light rumble during cruise would be nice).

Wha??? what????? see anything about an upgraded turbo????

• I Donated
Wha??? what????? see anything about an upgraded turbo????

Nope, but nothing about 20psi either.

My point was that the stock exhaust actually is restrictive. This is true bone stock, and it's true with a huge turbo like 700watts's. It just matters a little more when you go big.

I specifically said stage II. You are what? Stage III or IV:eek: WOW, I would like to have a ride in your monster :);)

Mild stage 3. To be honest, there are stage 2 setups that make more peak power than my car. Of course, it's the area under the curve that matters... ;) The 16G still snaps you back in your seat when it hits.

I run a 3" DP with a race Cat, a 3" to 2.5" Y with a resonator, and a set of "lobotomized" stock cans with custom tips. Most of the power of a full exhaust, but still very quiet and no drone...
:spin:

Search guys :D You open them up and start cutting/drilling to make a smoother flow path with less restriction. This gives you stock fitment with a quieter exhaust. Plus you can put on new tips...
:spin:

Archived