LegacyGT.com

Best Sirius reciver?

Leonardo

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys. I am a newbee to the satelite radio world but it looks like I have no choice but learn something because of Howard Stern's move to Sirius. As I understand the radio receiver is just a half deal. Somehow I have to wire it to the stock radio and also have a special antenna. Am I correct? Can anyone explain this in few words, please? Can I do that installation myself or special shop is preferable? How to get the subscription? Thanks a lot in advance and I am sorry for not doing search at this time.

check out sirius.com and it'll guide you through a lot of those questions. You do need a special antenna. Whether you hard-mount the receiver through your radio or go through an FM station is up to you... although I've heard you get better sound through a hard-wire. Subscription is through Sirius.

Has anyone put the antenna inside the wing on the back of the wagon. The wing is made of plastic so it should not affect the signal, and nobody will knows you have a satellite radio that way. Also the 3rd brake light is in the wing with wires comming out the back side so it can be done.

• 3 weeks later...
I got Starbase installed in cubby with black ABS plastic mount around it at Sound Advice in Fort Myers, FL. We discussed antenna placement options and we put it on the driver's side dash, inside the car as close as possible to the windshield. I DO have metallic tint on all windows except the front. Reception is fine. I've had the radio for over a week now

• 2 months later...
I wanted to bring this thread back to light and see who has done any recent Sirius satelite installs. Just wondering what recievers you have used (wired/un-wired) etc. I'm looking to get one within the next week or so. Also looking for someone that has their unit kind of floating around. I don't really want a permanent fixture, I figure it will most likely be laying on the seat on in the cupholders or something.

• 3 weeks later...
Just installed my starmate replay last night. I placed the actual unit in the space between the 5spd leather boot and the heated seat controls. Velcroed the mounting bracket in that spot, knowing that I'll use the unit for home use as well. Took the center console and back seat a part to run the wires to the antenna that went on the trunk lid. Power comes from the plug in the center armrest. Drilled a hole and ran the power wire under the center console along with the antenna cable from the rear. Overall, extremely happy with the install, service, and reception.

Just installed my starmate replay last night. I placed the actual unit in the space between the 5spd leather boot and the heated seat controls. Velcroed the mounting bracket in that spot, knowing that I'll use the unit for home use as well. Took the center console and back seat a part to run the wires to the antenna that went on the trunk lid. Power comes from the plug in the center armrest. Drilled a hole and ran the power wire under the center console along with the antenna cable from the rear. Overall, extremely happy with the install, service, and reception.

What's the difference between starmate replay and starbase receiver?

Why do they call it "replay"?

Where did you mount the antenna?

Thanks.

Two totally different receivers. Check them out on the Sirius website. Replay refers to the recording function that came with my unit. I can record what I hear and replay it at any given time. I haven't tried it yet though as I'm just exploring the more simple functions/programming available first.

Put my antenna on the outside of the trunk. Centered, running the wire from the back side of the trunk (near the window).

FWIW :: I mounted the antenna on the rear shelf, ran the wire up and through the pass through in the back seat and down around the trim on the passenger side. I did this cause it looked like it would be easier to run the cabling (power and antenna) up to the back of the cubby. I used a coat hanger to pull them both up. Drilled a hole large enough to pass the wires through. I will be using the cigarette lighter for power until we have a warm day when I can run it back to the extra power in the arm rest. Not too hard, but just sucks when it's cold out.... reception is pretty darn good.

IMG_0057a.thumb.jpg.42401c2a62bc24c09bbd76eb0e4ad2f0.jpg

IMG_0058a.thumb.jpg.86cac101d86469ce9096e3ce64d721ea.jpg

IMG_0060a.thumb.jpg.ab752dbad96bf2400a02011b20d6c7cb.jpg

IMG_0067a.thumb.jpg.e617077f853db818cccc9f4cb74f2521.jpg

IMG_0056a.thumb.jpg.1e3d7262479edbee969a7445fecdc9e5.jpg

IMG_0062a.thumb.jpg.8678782c496ce7a001f028db5b866e36.jpg

IMG_0065a.thumb.jpg.c3ee46baa1d27136215689bfb83883db.jpg

Two totally different receivers. Check them out on the Sirius website. Replay refers to the recording function that came with my unit. I can record what I hear and replay it at any given time. I haven't tried it yet though as I'm just exploring the more simple functions/programming available first.

Put my antenna on the outside of the trunk. Centered, running the wire from the back side of the trunk (near the window).

It's not a "true" record in the sense that you can go back to something you listened to 3 weeks ago. It's just a 44 minute buffer that you can rewind, fast forward, and skip through, but only after you've paused it. I have the same receiver and have used that feature once. I'm more of a fan of the artist/song alerts.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Sirius Starbase FM modulator installed in a new 2005 XT.

Initially I bought a Starmate at Best Buy but the installer didn't know how to put in and I didn't have a lot of confidence he would be able to figure it ou.

I returned that unit and bought a Starbase at Circuit City (Woodbridge, N.J.). After browsing the Forums here I purchased the SB30 Antenna Adaptor kit - which includes the FM modulator - at Installer.com. It hard wires the antenna allows the Sirius signal to override the regular radio signals whenever the Starbase is turned on, which helps the quality.

The Circuit City installer did a great job - very clean. The Starbase is mounted in the cubby - on an angle bracket close to the front (but still allowing the door to close.) He mounted the tuner box on the underside of the cubby behind the info display panel so only the antenna wire runs through the passenger compartment.

FM modulator audio quality (88.1 FM) is nearly as good as my previous non-modulated install in my '97 Outback - although there is some occasional sibilance in the "S" sounds.

Thanks to all the Sirius install forum members. The postings provided a lot of good information on the best way to get the new radio in.

Radio2.jpg.c2eec01dfdbc81565f98a8f9f9182a1f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I will be bringing this back from the dead...yet again. To those who have installed the receiver in the cubby like in the post above....have you had any issues with the receiver getting too hot? There is a warning from Subaru to not place items in there that could be heat sensitive so I am just worried about that. I need to find a good place here in MD that will do the install in the cubby area.

I will be bringing this back from the dead...yet again. To those who have installed the receiver in the cubby like in the post above....have you had any issues with the receiver getting too hot? There is a warning from Subaru to not place items in there that could be heat sensitive so I am just worried about that. I need to find a good place here in MD that will do the install in the cubby area.

I'm curious about this as well, because I am close to pulling the trigger

Go Cardinals!

I've had it installed for about 4 months and haven't noticed a problem.

I always keep the cubby door open when the unit is on and there is plenty of room at the top and on the sides for air circulation.

I am mainly worried about it sitting in the car during the summer while I am at work. I guess I could just bring it in with me to work. I plan to get a home kit so that I can listen to it at home. I always keep my sunglasses in there and they don't seem to get that warm. But wanted other opinions. Thanks BRK.

Archived