LegacyGT.com

Making a weird noise

Recently my car has been making a weird noise around 3k in 3rd gear. Sometimes it does it in 4th but mostly 3rd. It almost sounds like a metal rattling. It never used to make it then all of a sudden it would do it occasionally now it does it almost at will. If im just cruising it wont but once I go past 1/4 throttle it does it. It also wont do it while just revving it. I uploaded a video to youtube but its kind of hard to make it out.

Its a little easier to hear the second time I get on it.

Car is an 06 lgt stage 2

Update:

The noise has increased and I cant find any loose lines or anything. I did a LV and log today and my IAM has dropped to .8750 which I know isnt good. Also getting a lot of knock. Would all the knock be from the noise? It seems to be in line with when I hear the noise. I went to a local subaru shop and he told me to check the cylinder roughness which there is none so im guessing thats a good sign.

Any other ideas? I was planning on getting a new turbo in the very near future ( especially if this ones bad ) but I didnt want to drop the money on new turbo if something else big is messed up.

romraiderlog_20130523_163801.csv

1839811746_LearningView_SS_5-23-201344210PM.jpg.8a99aace299eacd52fb520056580e6c0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just got done pulling the downpipe. I checked the turbo and there doesnt seem to be noticeable play. It might move a hair but thats it. I tried to get a picture of it. Is that bolt or whatever it is in the middle supposed to have that part missing out of it?

Could the turbo be going even if theres no play in it?

1708447786_2013-05-2416_19_17.thumb.jpg.4d8b1b6669fda29703a83ec62a74b16d.jpg

478362439_2013-05-2416_17_16.thumb.jpg.06e7a6ce6456214461443f3b18a11db4.jpg

Turbo looks ok.

Ok, now check for loose heat shields. Particularly the turbo shield and the one underneath the turbo (need to jack up front). The one underneath has only one bolt to locate a big piece of shield. It can rust through and the shield will not fall down but will flap in the breeze

A loose shield can impact the knock sensor.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Turbo looks ok.

Ok, now check for loose heat shields. Particularly the turbo shield and the one underneath the turbo (need to jack up front). The one underneath has only one bolt to locate a big piece of shield. It can rust through and the shield will not fall down but will flap in the breeze

A loose shield can impact the knock sensor.

Okay thanks

I removed the shield on the turbo and it still did it so ill have to check to see what the other one looks like. I don't remember seeing another one by I could've over looked it

Bang the underside of the car on the left side (looking at the front of the car) with a broom handle;)

Subies have a gazillion heat shields, check them all.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

None of the shields looked worn thru. I checked all the bolts on the shields and none were loose either.

It seems mechanical but I cant seem to figure out what.

Could the turbo make noise even if the shaft is fine? Or could the shaft at the front of the turbo be messed up and not the back?

I am stumped at this point:confused:

Maybe an expert here can help you.

Thanks for the help.

Is there anything else I could try logging too figure out the problem? Since the fuel trims seem to be okay that would rule out boost/vacuum leak?

I don't know enough about the tuning stuff. But would a noise like an exhaust leak cause knock which could cause the iam to drop ? I checked all the bolts from the manifold to the turbo and down pipe. Only thing I didn't do was change the gaskets.

Wouldnt that make noise not under boost? It wont do it unless its under load.

You mentioned the noise is getting louder. Rod bearings don't always go fast, but they do not heal. Under boost is when they are under maximum stress.

A simple oil change can tell you if there is bearing material in the oil. Doing this BEFORE things get worse can save a lot of parts.

Thanks again for the help robin.

I finally figured it out. I went out and did the soapy water trick where the exhaust pipes are and had a leak where the manifold meets the uppipe. So I pulled it apart and re torqued it and went for a drive and then the noise became different. It changed so I figured it had something to do with the uppipe. So when it cooled off again I pulled the uppipe and saw on here you should torque the uppipe to turbo first so I did that then the bottom and now its quiet again.

Always something dumb with me.

Thanks again!

Thanks again for the help robin.

I finally figured it out. I went out and did the soapy water trick where the exhaust pipes are and had a leak where the manifold meets the uppipe. So I pulled it apart and re torqued it and went for a drive and then the noise became different. It changed so I figured it had something to do with the uppipe. So when it cooled off again I pulled the uppipe and saw on here you should torque the uppipe to turbo first so I did that then the bottom and now its quiet again.

Always something dumb with me.

Thanks again!

What a relief!!!!! I was worried about your motor!!!! I have done MUCHO dumber things:lol:

Archived