LegacyGT.com

Does my car have an amplifier?

powersr8810

Hey guys, I have what is probably a silly question. I am adding some equipment to my stereo and was curious if my system has an external amplifier separate from the actual stereo itself. Its a 2005 legacy GT, doesn't seem to have the factory sub (there isn't a sub in the rear deck on the driver's side, just a covered hole) and has the auto climate controls in the same unit as the radio. Hope that's enough for you guys to come to a conclusion. I'm under the impression that there isn't another amplifier but I could very well be wrong about that. Thanks.

Yeah, no amp and no sub from the factory in your case. The wires do go straight from the factory HU to the speakers.

Also, unless someone else installed the factory sub under your seat and then removed it, the car is not pre-wired for it. The factory sub is a "powered" setup, meaning the amp and sub are contained in a single enclosure.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Stock radio --> Audio Control LCQ-1 --> Memphis Audio 100x4 to the stock speakers (for now since I'm broke) and Memphis Audio 500x1 to 2 Image Dynamics IDQ12's.

I plan on upgrading the speakers, to what I don't know, but I was toying with the idea of running an active setup to just the front. However, I don't have any experience with this and barely know what all that entails haha. So I'm thinking my next upgrade with be a good set of component speakers in the front and go from there. Additionally, I actually have 2 of those 500x1 amps b/c I picked one up on CL for $25 (guy didn't know what he had). So I was also playing with the idea of doing one amp per sub but matching the 2 subs would be a bitch and my box doesn't have a separate enclosure for each speaker, so I would need a new box too. I also plan on some dynamat or deadening.

Archived