LegacyGT.com

1992 Subaru Legacy sedan - Whirring noise while accelerating - Help?

I'm so happy I found this forum for help with problems with my Subaru Legacy. This is my first post on this forum site and I'm hoping some of the many professionals/mechanics out there can help me out with my problems.

A little background about my ride. It's a 1992 Subaru Legacy L, AWD, 2.2L engine, 4-door sedan. I'm the second owner of the vehicle and it has around 166,000 miles on it.

There are multiple issues with my car now, but I will just focus on the one problem that has me the most concerned.

For the last 4 months or so, I've been having a loud whirring noise that's been coming from the front right side of my car. It's been happening consistently in the morning, when I first start the car and drive it in the morning, but tends to go away or at least dissipate as I drive it later in the afternoon as it gets warmer.

The whirring noise seems to be either connected to the transmission or a wheel bearing from what I thought, because it gets faster and louder the faster I go. When I'm driving at low speeds, the car vibrates at a repetitive level, but the vibration stops and the whirring noise starts again as I speed up.

Other characteristics of the problem include: My car pulling HARD to the left when the whirring noise starts. My alignment is off I'm sure, but the car pulls especially hard during these times. Also, when I finally stop the car and shift it into Park, the car lunges forward as I slip it into gear.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? Is it a transmission bearing issue or worse? I already had the wheel bearing checked once about 6 months ago and the mechanic said it wasn't broken.

Other problems with car that may be related to this problem, include a faulty left transaxle (needs replacement), a possible head gasket leak (I'm getting coolant slowly leaking from the coolant chamber into the combustion chamber). I also did some work of mine own on it about a year ago, where I replaced the transmission fluid, coolant, and rear and front differential fluid. I might have screwed up my car but am not sure.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

• 11 months later...
I don't believe it's a hub bearing issue. I'm also getting a very gas-like smell coming from my car now. The vehicle continues to lunge forward upon putting into park and the noise is getting louder now that I've put additional miles on the engine. Is this issue have to do with my transmission?

Archived