LegacyGT.com

Intake Manifold Bolt snapped

nothingelse

I was replacing the intake manifold gaskets with the new bigger ones last night because I have been having the rough idle and getting a couple of CEL misfires on cylinder one. As I was taking out the rear bolt on the passenger side the bolt appears to have sheared off. I didn't even realize it until I started putting them back in and noticed that it was much shorter than the rest. Has anybody run into this before? Any ideas on the best way to get it out?

Drill it out with a lower diameter drill bit. Then tap out the hole and rethread using a tap kit (Lowes and Home Depot have them for example). Remember to tap out and rethread using hand pressure, lots of lubricant, reversing periodically and lots of patience. Of course, youll want to catch all the steel filings as you go. Good luck!

Thanks that is what I was afraid you were going to say. I am leaving it for now as I don't have the time or the patience to remove the whole intake manifold. It appears that it would be too difficult to get in there without moving everything out of the way. Also, it appears to be running fine i.e. (no more misfires after the gasket swaps) even with the bolt missing. I may just take it to a shop to have it done since I have never done it before :)

Archived