LegacyGT.com

Advice for VF40 failure

"Best" is relative. Options are endless. You need to determine where you want to see boost. That will help to narrow thing down.

Are you wanting more low end or top end power? The 16G's are known for making power quicker than an 18G or 20G but will likely taper off depending on other variables like injectors, size of exhaust, etc... A 20G will make more top end power but will take longer to get into boost as opposed to a 16G, 18G or any vf turbo...

If I were in your shoes I would run a vf52, do the UP and DP, injectors, fuel pump and get an open source tune. From this point if you want more its simply a turbo swap. I'd get at least 740cc injectors and heat wrap.

Have you looked into e85? Different fuel opens up a whole new bag as well.

In reference to BNR. Search for reviews. Nasioc is a great source for info as far as turbo swaps as well, there are a lot more threads on how to select a turbo for power goals as well.

Updated Original Post.

Shopping the forums for AP/DP/UP/Turbo and possibly heat shields.

"I spoke with Adrian at Cobb Tuning Plano and he sent me some prices:

OEM VF40 - $1113.39

UP - $215

Gaskets for UP - $11-12

Heatshields

AP-002 - $595

DP - $595

Gaskets for DP - $25

When I first spoke with him he recommended against any of the BNR turbos and instead opting for a Blouch XT or a Tomioka TD05. He basically said the BNRs were crap and suffered similar issues I'm guessing, in design to the old stocks. I'm planning on doing UP/DP since I'm going to have the turbo off anyway. His quote of $1113.39 seems steep to me for the turbo, when I am looking at new BNRs for $750 on their site. So ... what am I missing? I also asked him about an ERZ DP I saw here in town locally, but he said I should opt for either a Cobb or a Perrin Divorced DP, citing reasons that sounded to me that I shouldn't skimp on the DP and the design needs to be right for my car. I asked him about putting a VF52 on it and he said that'd be fine but I'd need a pro tune, and it would probably only get about 15HP extra difference.. So basically what you guys said on the tuning.

So ... thoughts on what turbo is my best choice? He's recommending keeping stock, but doing AP/DP/UP. If I'm getting the AP, shouldn't I go for the tune and diff turbo anyway? What's wrong with the BNRs? And shouldn't I be able to find a VF40 or 52 for a lot less?"

I agree with the concerns regarding the BNR turbo, the failure rate is unfortunate. The vf52 on the other hand is a nice upgrade from the vf40, and usually can be found gently used for around $600 or so. Even new its a closely priced to the new vf40. On my Dyno the vf40 usually doesn't make more than ~220 or so, w/ the vf52 250+ isn't uncommon, at least on an MT (AT has more driveline loss). The Tomioka products are junk too so avoid those. Also an AP is not necessary to tune your car, open source is also an option you can go to save costs. feel free to shoot me an email if you have any other questions. Also a good quality downpipe can be had for ~$300. Keith@awdtuning.com

Archived