LegacyGT.com

Body Kits - Signal Mirrors

Hey Guys

So I want the LGT Signal Mirrors on my 2.5i Special Edition Legacy. Can I do that? Or is that a no-go?

What about body kits. I know there's a forum here somewhere, but I need to know about paint jobs too!!!

I want to paint my car! These rock chips annoy the heck out of me!! I want them gone but I've tried sanding, I've tried using rubbing compound to get rid of all the tiny chips but NOOOTHHINNGG works!! Sooo... I've decided to just let my car get dirty. The dirt will hide the specs. ='(

• 3 weeks later...
Why did you think sanding or using rubbing compound would get rid of paint chips?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 4 weeks later...
Turn signal mirrors will work as long as you get new door harnesses from an LGT.

Not necessarily. I swapped the signal mirrors from a LGT into my 2.5i Limited. It took about 45 minutes to 1 hour per side and I just had to extract wires and change the connector on the vehicle side to match the mirror harness. I'm planning a write up/walk-through soon. Stay tuned. Not that hard, just need to get the parts.

• 3 weeks later...
Not necessarily. I swapped the signal mirrors from a LGT into my 2.5i Limited. It took about 45 minutes to 1 hour per side and I just had to extract wires and change the connector on the vehicle side to match the mirror harness. I'm planning a write up/walk-through soon. Stay tuned. Not that hard, just need to get the parts.

any update to this yet?

I have everything typed up, just need to find the time to take a few more reference photos and make sure I haven't left anything out. I was looking over my notes and I completed this mod in Aug. 2010. I'm happy to say that everything is still working! I'll try and get everything up this weekend. Stay tuned!

Ok, here it goes:

Tools needed:

Needle Nose Pliers

Small flathead screwdriver

16 or 18 gauge wire - two lengths 48” long plus two lengths 12” long

Electrical tape/small zip ties

Wire Strippers

Time:

1 to 1 ½ hours per side

1. Find GT signal mirrors, I got mine from a salvage yard for a little over $300/pair

2. This conversion was done on a 2006 2.5i Limited with power/heated mirrors. This conversion MAY work on other models, but of course I cannot guarantee anything.

3. The most difficult part of this may be obtaining/locating the connector on the vehicle side of the mirror conversion. Getting it from a salvage yard may be the best option, unless someone can locate a dealer part number.

4. Start by removing black plastic cap inside behind the mirror, then the door panel (search for it, someone has probably posted instructions).

5. Locate the mirror harness and unplug the mirror connector and unscrew the mirror from the door.

6. Back to the mirror connector harness inside the door: Use a small flathead screwdriver to pry the retaining clips off the top and bottom of the connector then carefully extract the wires from the mirror connector (you may have to use needle nose pliers for this). Toss aside the connector, you will no longer need it.

7. With the new connector (you may be able to get one from Subaru or if you’re lucky, the mirrors you bought), insert the wires as shown in the photo (needle nose pliers work pretty well).

8. You will need ONE EXTRA wire for this. I had a spare wire with the proper Subaru connector pins, but 18 or 16 gauge solid wire should work too. The wire needs to be about 48” long (per side) and I think if inserted firmly into the connector, it may stay put, but it can also be hot-glued into or zip tied into place to maintain a good connection.

9. Run the 48” wire from the mirror connector (vehicle side) along the outside of the rubber boot containing the other door harness wires. I found it too difficult to run it inside and used wire ties and electrical tape to keep it in place on the outside.

10. Run the wire to a square harness in the foot well. The harness is located (on the driver’s side) by removing the fuse panel cover, pulling up the sill trim and rotating the cover on the inside downward. You do not need to worry about removing the panel. The connector contains the wires from the door, and plugs in behind the hood latch. Unplug this connector and insert the wire you ran from the mirror into position shown in the photos. Refer to the red/black wire for the driver’s side and a blue/yellow for the passenger side on the diagram.

11. Strip about 1/2" from each end of the wire before inserting it into the harness.

12. You will also need two 12” lengths of wire (again one for each side). The wire needs to be spliced into the existing black wire to provide two connections going to the mirror. From what I can tell, this may carry power to the mirror, because without it, you will find that either the turn signal or the defroster will work, but not both.

13. Repeat on the passenger side and check the turn signals (use your hazard switch to check both at the same time), your defroster and your power adjustment. Everything should work, if not check your connections.

540824690_SubaruDiagram0002.thumb.jpg.ca20547d57031fd8b30ed6b0a7b23fe0.jpg

1701436394_Connectorinfootwell.JPG.6f247a0b3cc6898df7a6597af9a01cd2.JPG

Connector.JPG.578701f9673472bcd24ebc1f6b4d07ef.JPG

Connector2.jpg.f70102c48ea7427cf3e79cde8f01bbd9.jpg

409118934_Wireindoor.jpg.fee78cc8be9925c66d1b0a4f6371c4e7.jpg

1146067036_Wireindoor2.thumb.jpg.2bc2c5d6af8a43b9411f04540969d358.jpg

Archived