LegacyGT.com

Painting a 4th gen legacy.

This is actually just a general paint question (but I have a 4th gen so it's in this subforum ;) ).

How much should I budget to get a decent paint job?

I'm looking at the insurance estimate that I got today, and it includes about $825 for paint labor and supplies to re-paint a rear bumper and quarter panel. I'm wondering how much I would have to add to get the whole car repainted. Ideally I'd like to do a color swap. I want something either white or a nice, deep gunmetal color, but even repainted to factory would be ok. I don't need anything show quality. Just something that's decent (like from factory) and durable.

Any ideas?

Repainting your entire car and expecting the paint job to look nice would cost a fortune (probably like $3000-$4000+). Probably not worth it in my opinion unless your paint is all scratched up and in really rough shape.

To do a full color change is a massive job to repaint all the door jams, trunk area, engine bay! To do it right you'd need to strip the car down to its shell, remove engine,etc. then paint, my estimate is double what he said above.

Thanks guys......for murdering my dreams. :mad::lol:

I've actually considered a wrap.

But I've honestly never seen a plastidip that I thought looked good (aside from small items like emblems and trim pieces).

Do not plasti-dip a car. I did it twice. You will never be able to clean off all the oversprays. Especially between the fender/front doors. It's a bitch cleaning all the oversprays. Save some extra money and get your car professionally vinyl wrap or a nice paint job.

Yeah, I was thinking 3M 1080.

Maybe one of their satin/matte metallic colors.

Like this: http://superiorautodesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/g35s-15.jpg

Except maybe in a darker blue (closer to stock color) or a gunmetal grey color. Of course, this would be dependent on their color selection.

And, I'm actually wanting to do it myself. I know that after the re-dos and mistakes it might cost just as much as getting it professionally done, but that's OK with me.

I had 3M Matte Gray Aluminum. It looks more like a champagne color to me. I would love the Satin Pearl White wrap.

Except to use a full roll of 75 feet. I screw up and had to order extra vinyl. Except lots of imperfection (i.e dust trapped behind the vinyl and too much stretching). Take your time, and maybe have a professional do your bumpers.

Archived