LegacyGT.com

Hyundai Veloster Turbo

Anyone own one, or spend any extended time with one?

Yes, I know there was another thread last year, but that was before the Veloster Turbo hit the streets and the thread got a little muddied up.

We are looking at the Veloster Turbo as a DD for the wife, and RWD is not an option due to what snow we get here (yes, I've tried, she likes FWD). We have test driven Focus ST, but it, and the other 'hot hatch' competitors are significantly more expensive at the same content level. Also, I was not even remotely impressed with the ST's electronic "torque management", nor the Recaro seats, which you have to buy to get just about any options.

We have also considered the Fiat Abarth, but a test drive in a standard 500 convinced us that it's simply too spartan.

A Fiesta ST was another possibility, but who knows when they'll be here, and the 2013 Fiesta we looked at had crap interior materials. I really like the looks of the Kia Pro Cee'd GT, but again, who knows when/if it will come to the US.

I was impressed by the VT in our test drive, though it was an auto, and we would most likely buy a 6MT, but we haven't driven one yet. The content level is excellent for the price point, and it's hard to beat a 10y/100k waranty...

Remember, the purpose is an entertaining, but economical DD for the wife, preferably under $25k.

So, anyone own one?

No experience here, but I saw one for the first time the other day and it really, really looks good. Way better than the regular veloster. I'd trade the mazda in on one if it got better gas mileage.

i just meant non sti

the normal was unneeded i guess

mazdaspeed 3 is 24200

veloster turbo 22100

wrx 25700

focus st 23700

and with only 200 hp, i wouldn't consider the veloster turbo equal with any of these cars. the original veloster was simply a dog, and the turbo makes it a normal car, not really fast

Remember, the purpose is an entertaining, but economical DD for the wife, preferably under $25k.

Add options to the MS3 to equate with the VT and it's $27,500

Get any options in the the Focus and it's $27k, and all option packages require the Recaros, which suck.

WRX gets crap mileage, and honestly, I'm not interested in doing the Subaru thing again. Leather requires Limited which is $30k

You are correct that all of these are faster cars. They are also considerably more expensive when comparably equipped.

I really think the VT is about the best bang for the buck in it's price category, but would still love to hear feedback from actual owners.

conventional wisdom would suggest checking out the Hyundai forums.

just a thought

I have... ;) Just thought I'd look for opinions from a know perspective.

Haven't looked at the Golf or Jetta, but they're still VWs...

I'd get the Focus ST. Loads more space and probably easy to get pretty quickly for a good deal. Fiesta ST is gonna be in short supply at first with dealers asking too much.

WRX/MS3/current GTI are too dated. Hyundais are okay, I tried the VT few months back. I like the ST more.

well despite everybody thinking hyundai's are junk. they are good cars. honestly, have you ever heard anything bad about them? they've been getting pretty nice recently. the sonata is in the top 3 midsize sedan shootout about every year.

I have... ;) Just thought I'd look for opinions from a know perspective.

Haven't looked at the Golf or Jetta, but they're still VWs...

I would definitly at least look at a them before you decide. you may be surprised. my friend has a new jetta and i was very impressed.

I would definitly at least look at a them before you decide. you may be surprised. my friend has a new jetta and i was very impressed.

golf/jetta is a really good car. gti/gli will put you in the 30k territory. but the 2.5 in the vw's is still a really good engine too. it also sounds good

• I Donated
dual clutch transmission:wub:

Not available on the Turbo, just on the base model.

We were looking at a Veloster Turbo automatic for my fiancee when she got in an accident with her Mustang. Nice car. We both liked it a lot for her purposes (50+ mi round trip each day -- something fun with a little pep, but comfortable with good amenities). She ended up keeping her Mustang after it was repaired, though.

We looked at several other cars (Nissan Juke, Honda Fit, Chevy Sonic) and the Veloster Turbo was miles above them in terms of interior quality, amenities, etc. The Juke would have been as fast, but it was tiny and the interior sucked. The Fit was slow, and we needed to step up to nav to get BT, so there was no price advantage. The Sonic was better than the Fit, but still nowhere near as nice as the Veloster.

Would I have a Veloster Turbo as a DD for myself? Probably not. But it's a nice little car.

.... We looked at several other cars (Nissan Juke, Honda Fit, Chevy Sonic) and the Veloster Turbo was miles above them in terms of interior quality, amenities, etc.

This is what we're finding... It just looks like the best overall value in the segment.

Today we drove a Veloster Turbo with the 6MT, and I think we're done shopping. We also finally managed to see all the various colors in person, and the wife has decided that issue as well.

We did look at a GTI today. Wife didn't like the interior at all, though I liked it better than I thought I would. Dealer wanted more for a leftover 2012 than sticker on the Veloster Turbo... Given the higher price, and rep for annoying/expensive minor issues, the VW was never really in the running anyway.

We also drove a Volvo C30 Polestar, mostly just for interest, as we're not wanting to spend that much. I was very impressed with the car, and it looks great, except for the dash, which looks like sh*t for a $30k+ car. Dealer had $5k of markups on it, including $3k "market adjustment"... LOL

As you noted, this is probably not what I would pick for myself, but it fits what we're looking for, and it's reasonably interesting for when I have to drive it.

We also drove a Volvo C30 Polestar, mostly just for interest, as we're not wanting to spend that much. I was very impressed with the car, and it looks great, except for the dash, which looks like sh*t for a $30k+ car. Dealer had $5k of markups on it, including $3k "market adjustment"... LOL

I have the same exact sentiments. We test drove a C30 R-Design last year. Really nice car, but I'll be damned if that isn't the most boring center stack I've ever seen. I really liked the steering wheel though. I wish my LGT had a wheel like that.

All Volvo cars suffer from that same ugly center stack now. They actually make a nice car, but I would not seriously consider one until they change that design.

i work @ a hyundai dealership....drive these cars everyday...they are fun little cars...have a kind of cool factor to them and what not....great gas mileage.....but the dual clutch deal is pretty annoying...no one likes them from our experience....we selll more M/T then we do the dual clutch A/T....but other than that dual clutch its pretty neat i guess....but its no subaru....

Archived