LegacyGT.com

Damaged undercarriage

I've had this problem with several cars I've owned.

I take it to a mechanic, either a dealer or independent, for a 30K or 60K service. When I get the car back, I notice that the rubberized undercoating has been damaged, sometimes even completely scraped off down to the painted metal, where the hydraulic lift made contact with the undercarriage on each side. It just happened again with my WRX. It really makes me furious since I'm so anal about my cars.

Has anyone had this problem with the new Legacy/Outback? Why don't manufacturers provide better lift points under the car to avoid this? My old Audi had hard rubber pads at these points which really made sense. Sorry, I'm just venting, but also looking for ways to avoid this, other than doing all the work myself.

When I put my new wheels on I noticed a black rubbery material on the jack. I looked at the jack point and it looked fine. Must of rubbed off a little but there must be a good coat on.

Maybe there is a spray on product that you can buy to touch it up after a service interval.

I have noticed the same thing every time I get my oil changed at the dealer.

I have wondered the same thing about solid, obvious lift points... I am not even sure that the lift points being used by the dealer are Kosher, though I (dangerously) assume they know what they are doing with the car lift since they do this all day long on Subies at the dealership shop.

Anyway the balck gooey undercoating is pretty much worn off at the areas on the underbody shell where they are putting the jack. Sheesh getting the oil changed should not mean dinging up the underbody.

Had a look at the dealer today while my car was up on the lift. They use the body seams where the tire jack slots in to lift the car at all four corners.

I looked after I got home and it seems that they bent things up a little by not getting the lift pads centered properly, but bound to happen since there is no other way to lift the car. :mad:

Seems that Audi has it's design a little more refined by placing rubber pads at the lift points.

Archived