The Parenthood Thread

laff79

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When did colleges start having "fall breaks"? That's strange.

My college did it for scheduling reasons. Somewhere between the 1st and 2nd midterms, we had fall break, which was a Monday and Tuesday. For Thanksgiving, we were off Weds-Friday. The fall break was, I assumed, just to balance once the time off for Thanksgiving, since classes were M/W/F or T/Th.

In the spring, we just had one week long break.

These are the type of kids I deal with at work everyday. Half my unit is autistic these days. Pain in the ass.

i can imagine a room full of them would be difficult, but with just the one or he and one of his friends is kind of fun. hes actually fairly intelligent, it just has difficulty showing most of the time. his forte is mechanical stuff, hes good at assembly/ disassembly. likes disassembly much more tho, hehe. hes also an escape artist, bypassing the door alarms and pretty much every type of "child proof" lock made. we do enjoy the weird questions he comes up with tho, my friend did a whole series of "questions my autistic kid asks..." on her facebook.

:confused:

I enjoyed studying and had too much fun at college to want to come home for breaks.

I think she's a little homesick. She's 450 miles away, too, and none of her friends from home went to the same school so she's really on her own. Her original plan was to not come home until Thanksgiving, and to be fair, her Aunt is taking her, my nephew, and cute boy sky diving on Saturday, so I think that was part of the driving force to get her here.

It's also different the first year, and probably more so for a girl.

However, boy or girl - you still have to miss you family and friends back home a little bit. New friends are great and all, but I would think you would have SOME desire to see your old chums.

It's also different the first year, and probably more so for a girl.

However, boy or girl - you still have to miss you family and friends back home a little bit. New friends are great and all, but I would think you would have SOME desire to see your old chums.

I don't think it depends on gender. It depends on personality. My friends never went home on weekends, although many did at UConn in their first year. That turned Thursday nights into the big party night since so many skipped home from the dorms. It was always a mystery to me.

After a long Saturday of shuttling the kids around from soccer games and horseback lessons, mowing the lawn and checking some thing off the 'honey dew' list, I was looking forward to a rare night out with the wife, dinner and drink at a nice restaurant that didn't serve chicken in the form of a nugget.

My 15-year-old daughter asks if she can jump in the shower first. Fine I said just hurry up we have reservations for 6 o'clock. 15 minutes goes bye and the shower is still running. I go upstairs pound on the bathroom door and yell to tell her to wrap it up. She come walking down the hall out of my bedroom in her bathrobe, COMPLETELY DRY!

Her : "What I was just letting the water warm up while I took off my nail polish."

Me : http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/s.gifhttp://ragecollection.com/img/ragefaces/rage-guy.png

Edited by bdisco

Just watched The Wonder Years with my 5th grade daughter. If you don't remember, it's about a bunch of kids just starting middle school and it's from one boy's perspective with lots of narration. Made in the late 80s/early 90s. It addresses issues my daughter is just starting to learn about. I nearly choked on my laughter when the boys were talking about "second base" and my daughter asks, "what's that?" This will be a great educational tool for her. :lol:

So enjoying fall break with my gal at home!!!! Tomorrow they are skydiving. I'll go to take pictures, but am a little freaked out!

Tell her to have a blast. Hope it's warmer there than here, becz the windchill at 120 mph when the air is only 50 degrees has gotta suck!

Tell her to have a blast. Hope it's warmer there than here, becz the windchill at 120 mph when the air is only 50 degrees has gotta suck!

Its in the 40's here this morning! And they say it's 20-30 F colder up there. BRRrR!

After a long Saturday of shuttling the kids around from soccer games and horseback lessons, mowing the lawn and checking some thing off the 'honey dew' list, I was looking forward to a rare night out with the wife, dinner and drink at a nice restaurant that didn't serve chicken in the form of a nugget.

My 15-year-old daughter asks if she can jump in the shower first. Fine I said just hurry up we have reservations for 6 o'clock. 15 minutes goes bye and the shower is still running. I go upstairs pound on the bathroom door and yell to tell her to wrap it up. She come walking down the hall out of my bedroom in her bathrobe, COMPLETELY DRY!

Her : "What I was just letting the water warm up while I took off my nail polish."

Me : http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/s.gifhttp://ragecollection.com/img/ragefaces/rage-guy.png

The joys of parenting daughter(s). Can't tell you how many gals of water and gas therms we've paid for over the years for similar reasons.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Girls will out-consume food versus boys about 5-1. There were times when I wished I had a choice: food or utilities. Not sure which would have been cheaper. :)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Mine is definitely a hot water consumer over an eater. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly saving money on groceries now, but utilities too. It's just all being funneled into newfound student loans.

The joys of parenting daughter(s). Can't tell you how many gals of water and gas therms we've paid for over the years for similar reasons.

It's either food or utilities. Pick your poison. Not looking forward to going full-scale grocery shopping 3x/week once the minion hits his teens.

i have 2 girls and a boy, all in their teens. the food he can eat is astounding. i dont recall ever being able to eat that much, and im a fat guy that loves food. problem is, he takes just as long with showers as the girls do, which is torture when i want to get them all out of the house to go somewhere. thats also why i put a 80gal water heater in my house, so we can run two showers, the dishwasher and washing machine all at the same time lol

Gotta get one of those new instant water heaters. They are tankless and heat the water on the spot. My 55 gallon has let me down the past two weekends.

I remember how much I ate when I was a teeneager, it was less than a decade ago. If we made homemade tacos I would eat 12-15. Hamburgers 3 or 4 at a time, entire forzen pizzas werent enough... sometimes one and a half or two. And I never went above 180lbs which for 6'3" isn't very big.

Edited by 05GT Guru