LegacyGT.com

Brake system upgrade

So on my way home from work last Wednesday I had very little pressure in the brake system. My route home has a few large hills with some tight corners so it was a sketchy car ride.

I've discovered where I think the problem is. It looks like a previous owner filled a void at the left rear with some filler foam (used to fill gaps in windows and doors when building a house). I will add pictures later.

I'm not Sherlock Homes but I'm guessing he did that because there was a leak in that spot. I had my wife pump the brakes for me while I looked for a leak. There is a small wet patch on the gravel under the car in that location afterwards. My brake fluid is now below the minimum line so I will need to top up on that.

This could be an opportunity to overhaul the entire brake system or at least the rears. I know that lots of parts are interchangeable with many different Subaru models.

What do the members recommend?

Hello;

Somewhere else in this forum it has been mentioned that the transistion in the brake lines into the body is a common point for these to rust and fail. If you upgrade the brakes, a larger wheel and smaller series of tires will be needed to acommadate the larger disc and caliper. Hope this helps, Steven.

Archived