LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to the ford dealer after i test drove a 2018 red hot SS 1LE on saturday. There were no performance pack 2018 GTs on the lot. Im really close to pulling the trigger on the 1LE depending on what I can get for the LGT. I do want to drive the Mustang before I make my decision though...

Beautiful car, and i agree, that color is amazing!

I went to the ford dealer after i test drove a 2018 red hot SS 1LE on saturday. There were no performance pack 2018 GTs on the lot. Im really close to pulling the trigger on the 1LE depending on what I can get for the LGT. I do want to drive the Mustang before I make my decision though...

Beautiful car, and i agree, that color is amazing!

Thanks. We looked at Camaros a while back. The 1LE SS is an amazing car, and without question faster than our Mustang. We just didn't like the high waistline and lack of visibility. Feels like you're sitting in a bathtub. Mustang is far nicer for daily driving. And our poor experience with our C6 Vette has left us with a bad taste for GM.

yes the visibility, or lack thereof would take some getting used to.

I do love the 18' GT perofrmance pack, and I hear it is much more daily driver friendly. a few 10ths of a second can easily be overcome by some aftermarket parts, so i'm not too worried about straight line speed.

How does it handle? The newer cars have a square 305 setup on 10.5 and 11" rims, which is much like the z/28s. but at damn near 50K, i just cant justify the performance pack. May just wait it out til end of the year and see what kind of deals they are tossing out.

The biggest issue with ford vs. chevy is they don't lease out GT's -_-

I've not even had the chance to take it on a spirited drive yet, so I can't really give an assessment yet. I was impressed with the basic competence on the test drive, which included a couple of local roundabouts. I'll post up some impressions after I get a chance to really drive it.

One thing I've been impressed by is the aftermarket support direct from Ford. I can buy a CAI/throttle body/tune combo that makes 20+hp, and good torque gains, is CARB certified, and retains warranty for $800. They also have a complete suspension package for ~$1300 that has been getting decent reviews as a dual duty upgrade. So, about $2k plus brake pads, and maybe wheels, and I should be done modding this thing.

I've not even had the chance to take it on a spirited drive yet, so I can't really give an assessment yet. I was impressed with the basic competence on the test drive, which included a couple of local roundabouts. I'll post up some impressions after I get a chance to really drive it.

One thing I've been impressed by is the aftermarket support direct from Ford. I can buy a CAI/throttle body/tune combo that makes 20+hp, and good torque gains, is CARB certified, and retains warranty for $800. They also have a complete suspension package for ~$1300 that has been getting decent reviews as a dual duty upgrade. So, about $2k plus brake pads, and maybe wheels, and I should be done modding this thing.

"should be done modifying this thing" lol.

never done...you know this mannnn

I hear they take very nicely to e85 and bolt ons. That would be my first route.

Edited by stocklgt

Yeah... I know... :lol:

I'm actually pretty good with not going crazy with the wife's daily drivers... Her NC Miata just had springs, shocks, sways and an axleback. Now, our NA is a completely different matter... :p

Couple of gratuitous Mustang pics since I washed it the other day....

40857389982_35abde6d66_c.jpg

40005642525_ac93ee84be_c.jpg

40857389662_b474801230_c.jpg

wowzers. dat color. I love it. Similar to the Scat Pack B5 blue. Only other color i love more is destroyer/nardo gray. Is that Grabber Blue? Do you mind me asking what you paid?

Wait, this is your wifes daily!? I need a woman like that in my life.

Edited by stocklgt

Thanks. We looked at Camaros a while back. The 1LE SS is an amazing car, and without question faster than our Mustang. We just didn't like the high waistline and lack of visibility. Feels like you're sitting in a bathtub. Mustang is far nicer for daily driving. And our poor experience with our C6 Vette has left us with a bad taste for GM.

I drove a 2017 rental car Camaro. The "feel" of the car was really good. The visibility sucked. Even though the car felt great, it really only felt like it belonged on a race track with the LOL that was outward visibility.

Wait, this is your wifes daily!? I need a woman like that in my life.

You got a ninja edit in after I replied...

It is my wife's daily, as was the NC Miata before it. She tracked the NC and will be tracking the Mustang at some point.

36435853285_74c9d1e73d_c.jpg

27056468648_a9d53ec0ee_c.jpg

I'm a lucky guy. :D

Next month I get to play pit crew while she takes a two day race school at Willow Springs in our NA. I planned that well... didn't even know we were buying a Mustang when I signed her up. :p

• 2 weeks later...
Before I came in and posted I bled the system just to make sure it wasn't an air bubble. Based on the symptoms, and no external leaks I think it's the clutch master cylinder. I ordered a new one from Amazon for $28 and it should be here on Friday. Hope to have it installed and fixed on Friday evening or Saturday morning. Master is a bit of a pain to get out of the firewall.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Had the pleasure -_- of doing the heater core on special b's ecotec miata this weekend. Along with that power mirror wiring and install, under tray, and some other cool shit to get it ready for summer. Needless to say we buttoned the dash back up and the vband wasn't on correctly so it was leaking. Pulled the dash again, tightened it, checked it out left it running with the dash out this time and all was OK. All in all, about 12 hours of work. Never again lol.

Side note, now the tach doesn't work...He did remove the stock computer bc it now has an ecotec in it but even when we plugged it back in the tach wasn't getting a signal. Any ideas? He went a little crazy cutting some wires when he pulled the airbag stuff out, so i'm tacking it up to that (pun intended).

Heater cores in Miatas suck. It's just a shitty job, and the design sucks. At least you did it the easy way... there's some lunatics on the Miata forums that insist you can do it without pulling the dash. I think I would rather just set the car on fire.

As to the tach wiring... that signal comes in through one of the two harnesses that plug into the instrument cluster. Did the tach work post swap, but pre heater core? It probably just got jostled around and whatever was wire in got disconnected.

Did he keep a wiring diagram from the swap? You can check a diagram online for the stock wiring and at least figure out the wire out of the instrument cluster and trace it back.

Heater cores in Miatas suck. It's just a shitty job, and the design sucks. At least you did it the easy way... there's some lunatics on the Miata forums that insist you can do it without pulling the dash. I think I would rather just set the car on fire.

As to the tach wiring... that signal comes in through one of the two harnesses that plug into the instrument cluster. Did the tach work post swap, but pre heater core? It probably just got jostled around and whatever was wire in got disconnected.

Did he keep a wiring diagram from the swap? You can check a diagram online for the stock wiring and at least figure out the wire out of the instrument cluster and trace it back.

yeah tach was working post swap pre-dash pull. We traced wire back from cluster and I think he just got fed up and said **** it. Now that its OBD2, Id imagine hell just run bluetooth to a car app to get all that data.

As far as doing it without pulling the dash, I think i'd rather do most anything else in the world. It was already enough of a headache pulling the dash, but I can't imagine being able to replace it with it in the way.

Yellow/Black wire is the tach wire IIRC. We lost it somewhere in the harness but im almost 100% it wasn't cut. I thought it was the ECU that delivered the signal and severing it would cause the issue, but even with it plugged back in nothing happened.