LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Yeah the stock NB 15s look pretty good. Like you I just wish they were wider. I'm thinking about picking up another set of wheels for the 'winter' set. I'm thinking about a set of Rota Grids.

I went magnetic for my number plate.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to top off the fuel in the NA today, so I mounted up the S1/Rival combo...

40525665721_d82d3b7dd1_c.jpg

I'm planning to run these for a couple of sessions this weekend to get some heat cycles on them. I also got a new toy for evaluating those heat cycles...

40525668941_edfb403cfa_c.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how to use it! :p

I've been using mine as a DD since Saturday. Everything is going well other than I think I have the front and rears mismatched as I'm getting an odd torque steer effect when I get on and off the throttle.

2003 Baja 5MT

Everyone loves the Ford Motocraft fluid.... I hate it, it sucks. I had it in the 5spd for about 5k before all the work, I replaced it with Redline MTL. The MTL is infinitely better.

2003 Baja 5MT

Interesting... I've always heard Motorcraft for 5sp, MTL for 6spd. I've got the Motorcraft in both NA and NB, and it works fine. Haven't done a back to back with MTL though.

I do think M.netters tend to be a little over the top on their 'magical' solutions sometimes... ;)

I'm overstating my dislike for it, but given I can get MTL and MT90 retail for $16 a quart and I paid $25 a quart for the Motorcraft stuff and I feel the MTL performance is significantly better it's a no brainer for me.

2003 Baja 5MT

Great day at the track today... 75* and sunny in Phoenix.

40561993802_bded93deae_c.jpg

Last time at this track was almost 5 years ago... the car has changed a LOT since then. Lap times were ~ 12sec quicker! :cool:

I hope to get some action shots from the track photog in a few days...

This afternoon, I've been going through some data... seems that's going to be part of my track day experience now. LOL

Anyway, at MRLS in October the transponder I paid for crapped out because nobody apparently charged them before the event... In desperation, I downloaded an app to my phone called Race Chrono. It uses the gps receiver in the phone for lap timing. Unfortunately, I only got the last session, where I spun off on the 3rd lap. As a result, I hadn't really looked at what the app could do.

Fast forward to yesterday. I used the same app for lap times at AZ Motorsports Park, which was also mapped in the app. Turns out it does a lot more than just lap times. It also records lateral G, longitudinal G, and speed and allows you to 'play back' a lap and look at graphed data, while showing the car position on the map. It also records splits, and can give a predicted "possible" lap based on your best sector times. Pretty cool!

Here's an example of a screenshot I grabbed off Google:

N5pEOzBWOKoNEaRuDhyrm3WBrEFdcrmju7UFSx3XkxdAAUvuY1AhZpWnu4tN1aWN1w=h310

So, anyway, looking at the data tells me that even though the Rivals felt really loose, their best lap was only .2 slower than the NT01s best. However the best 'possible' lap for the NT01s was .75 sec faster.

That said, the pyrometer readings tell me I have yet to optimize the pressures for either tire, but I expect I was closer with the NT01s.

Interesting stuff!

I only got one session on video before my GoPro battery died, and I'm working on that now. Hope to have an upload to YT in the next couple of days. I did compare back to video of a lap from 2013. That's how I came up with the improvement in lap times. It's a little approximate, 'cause stopwatching a video isn't very precise.... but it's between 10-12 seconds.

In 2013 it had the 1.6, VMaxx suspension and 205 NT01s, so lots of changes. Terminal speed on the fastest straight went from ~78 mph to 97 mph! :D

Pics and video to come...

Did you see Good-Win's email? The new Konig Ampliform looks really good :spin:

I do actually like the Ampliform... of course it doesn't come in 15s... :mad:

Even the Dekagrams are only 15x8s...

Video is finally up... 3 laps from session two. Sorry about the quality... YT's compression always seems to screw it up.

If you look closely, you can watch the white ZL1 Camaro doing a tank slapper in the mirror... :p

Edited by rodan

So, with a significant amount of sadness, the NC is gone... :(

We've had a lot of great experiences, but my wife's commute got a lot longer about a year and a half ago, and the shortcomings of a Miata as a DD were starting to wear. We'd been thinking for a while about a little more comfort and room, a little more quiet on the highway, and more power.

Yesterday, I stopped at the local Dodge dealer to make an oil change appointment for our truck... and there it was...

39920255155_181bfdb694_c.jpg

'17, 6 speed manual, performance pack (Brembos!), only 4500 miles... and THAT COLOR!! :D

Probably the most impulsive auto purchase we've ever made, but this thing rocks...

We'd driven a '16 GT Convertible about a year ago, and weren't impressed at all... slow, soft, sluggish. This thing is a completely different animal...

Now, I just need to stay the hell away from any Cars & Coffees... :p

Idk Rodan, i would have gone with that red Charger behind it, assuming it’s either N R/T scat pack or better given the hood scoop. Co-worker has a 17 Daytona akd the thing is amazing. Luxury wise it reminds me of my Spec.B and the powerof the 6.4 is killer!

There’s a 10AE MX-5 on base that i keep leaving notes on. Been sitting since i got here in August and i wanna find the owner & see if she/he will sell. Clear coat is going as is paint but i don’t care. Just want a fun track car and having had a 10AE before i like the 6 speed

Idk Rodan, i would have gone with that red Charger behind it, assuming it’s either N R/T scat pack or better given the hood scoop. Co-worker has a 17 Daytona akd the thing is amazing. Luxury wise it reminds me of my Spec.B and the powerof the 6.4 is killer!

I do like the Chargers, and that one was a 392/SRT/whatever... didn't like the color, and it was a LOT more $$$... I could easily see myself nosing around used Hellcat Chargers in around 5 years... or maybe Trackhawks. ;)

I got around to looking underneath the Mustang today and was pleasantly surprised to find it already has a Magnaflow cat back. I thought it sounded a little too good to be stock, but it's pretty quiet (perfect, actually) so I wasn't sure. One less thing to do... :cool:

I got around to looking underneath the Mustang today and was pleasantly surprised to find it already has a Magnaflow cat back. I thought it sounded a little too good to be stock, but it's pretty quiet (perfect, actually) so I wasn't sure. One less thing to do... :cool:

If you still want to buy a Magnaflow I'll let you buy me one for my Explorer :lol:

2003 Baja 5MT