LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Picked up some of the final parts for reassembly. Hopefully I'll be able to pull and clean up the oil pan tomorrow. Then get it installed before I let it sit overnight to cure. If all goes well I'll have the engine back in on Sunday.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That'll be a nice, quick turnaround.

I ordered up some Storm S1s today. Ended up getting them from Discount Tire due to their President's Day sale.... they matched the going price, and I got $130 in rebates. :cool:

For S&G I looked at going to FM Summer Camp... Not sure about the 14+ hour drive.

The track time sold out almost as fast as Miatas at MRLS... they've since added another track day (Wednesday), which I think still has some openings...

The track time sold out almost as fast as Miatas at MRLS... they've since added another track day (Wednesday), which I think still has some openings...

Yeah Wednesday, I got their Email which is why I was looking at it.

2003 Baja 5MT

Getting closer to being done with this project. Got the engine mostly sealed up. Just need to do the rear main seal, but won't do that until I hang the engine from the hoist again tomorrow. After that it's clutch/flywheel kit, mate the engine to the transmission, new clutch slave cylinder with line, and then reassembling the engine bay.

39451985085_a326783243_b.jpg

40349009041_7bd776cdd1_b.jpg

39637891524_6ca456a3e2_b.jpg

39451983225_6a27af1a3e_b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

So a while back, I posted how I was using my phone with the MSDroid app to display coolant temp, until something better came along. Well, something better has come along!

PerfectTuning has developed a multifunction gauge that mounts in a std 52mm panel, and displays almost anything your MS3 can output. It communicates over CAN, and has the ability to display multiple parameters, and has warnings as well...

universal-gauge.jpg

I don't know if it will embed properly, but this YT video shows the gauge in action:

I ordered the gauge, and it showed up last week.

39649981144_1a5522c91d_c.jpg

Yesterday, I got it installed in my center panel.

38550755270_634f720c34_c.jpg

I also added a momentary button switch below the AFR gauge to activate the on-board datalogging function on the MS3. I'm just waiting for an LED indicator for the datalogging to show up to complete the install. It should be here tomorrow.

More to come... :cool:

Wasn't able to finish up today, but I'm so close!

I pressed in the new rear main seal using the FM seal press.

25500654617_c6e5e6c217_b.jpg

Then got the flywheel and clutch kit mounted, forgot something :spin:

40373190951_33dbc1f840_b.jpg

Had to pull it all back off, and put the plate in. :rolleyes:

39475957055_074e858076_b.jpg

Then got the transmission mated to the engine and the front pipe connected to the factory header. Also got the new clutch slave cylinder with the extended stainless line attached.

39661988324_8901866902_b.jpg

Got the engine and transmission back into the car. Set the PPF height and got everything torqued down.

39661989324_bc5deee3fd_b.jpg

After I got it in I got mounted the AC Compressor, so I could finish getting the belts set. The wiring harness is all hooked back up except for the air intake. All that's left is mostly the cooling system and then filling up the engine, transmission, power steering fluid, clutch hydraulics and new rubber shifter boots.

I should be done on Friday around noon if I drag my ass out of bed at a decent hour. :lol:

2003 Baja 5MT

I did everything by the numbers per the FM instructions when I installed the FM clutch in my NA. I didn't bother with any of my NB installs, though I did check to see that it was fully releasing (slight play in the slave rod). Worked fine in all cases.

I did everything by the numbers per the FM instructions when I installed the FM clutch in my NA. I didn't bother with any of my NB installs, though I did check to see that it was fully releasing (slight play in the slave rod). Worked fine in all cases.

Ugh not looking forward to climbing under the dash for that :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

Got the gauge wired up and installed.

Pic from testing before panel was bolted down:

25516865557_aa0a83617c_c.jpg

In the above pic, it's set to display coolant temp (top) and voltage (bottom). I set up alarms for both. For coolant temp over 210*, the outer LEDs flash red, quickly. For battery voltage under 11.8V, the outer LEDs flash green, slowly. Colors for text and LEDs are all configurable, and I have up to 4 other warnings I can program.

There are a number of other configurable display screens I'll fiddle with when I have some time, but this is primarily what I wanted for the track in the car's current configuration. This thing is pretty cool, but there are a few parameters that are not programmable to the degree I would like... hopefully future firmware upgrades will change that.

I also got the onboard datalogging set up and working for the MS3. Still need to make a label for the button.

Got it all done today! Installed the new radiator, had to bend some of mounting tabs for the AC condenser and also the mounting tabs for the top radiator tabs. Blead the clutch hydraulics and adjusted the rods like Flyin Miata recommended. Finally took it for a quick spin around the block. Everything seems to be good for now. I have to take on a bit of a longer drive to test things out and then get on with breaking in the clutch!

25577168997_1fbb20f6ca_b.jpg

25577166317_841b4d850c_b.jpg

26577472788_46f4a1dbee_b.jpg

26577473608_5db7dcdf58_b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

Now that I have it running I put the 'winter' wheels and tires on since I'm planning on daily driving it for awhile to break in the clutch. I also put up a reminder to start it in neutral as Flyin Miata recommends.

39753258104_bb2af296b7_b.jpg

26593111608_a42fd31184_b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

Y'know... stock NB wheels look pretty good on a black car. I've got a polished set that came with mine, and I almost like them better than the Rota RBs. Just wish they were 7" wide.

I finally got a pic of the finished gauge install... ignore the AFR, dead cold idle.

26594932488_ce9975391a_c.jpg

Yesterday, my S1s showed up so I got the Rivals mounted, and this afternoon cleaned off the mounting spooge. They seem a bit narrower in section than the NT01s on the car. Hopefully I can get some back to back times next weekend.

26594935678_9539d94899_c.jpg

We're attending several events this year that wanted car numbers, so I ordered up some vinyl. Putting on vinyl in a 50* garage sucks... I'll probably have a gazillion bubbles this summer. And I've pretty much decided a DiY wrap on the NB is NOT happening... :p

26594930898_d1dbd8457f_c.jpg