LegacyGT.com

Strange low Idle and Stalling at times

Post in the New England regional forum. Maybe someone there can help out. If you are sure you did the compression test correctly then you have at least two bad cylinders and there's not much else to look for at this point IMO. Strange no cel though.

So thinking about it more, I know the cars low on compression, but not in my opinion enough to make it stall. I understand the car needs a rebuild, I dont care where the compression issue is so theres no point to do a leakdown. Im just trying to stop the stalling for another month so I can get the finances together to get it rebuilt.

I know TMIC is leaking so I ordered on this weekend getting shipped out on monday, going to put that on. Also read about O2 causing low idle/stalling issue, so going to try to read that with gensis from work (if we have the software) or just unplug it and see what happens, since I can duplicate stalling in parking lot at work. So between those 2 things and potentially leak testing it those are my next moves.

any other useful advice? I know Im just putting a bandaid on something that needs stitches so please dont bash me for that.

Well, a large enough vacuum leak can stall the motor. If you are going to rebuild and you think the tmic is leaking then you are going to need to get one anyway. Not sure it will help you right now or not. I hope so. You could make a leak tester for pretty cheap and look for leaks that way too. I would at least test the old tmic before installing the new if you haven't already.

O2 issues usually throw a code.

• 1 month later...

Hey Champ, sorry to hear about your woes.

This sounds very similar to an issue i was having and for me it was a MAF/IAT sensor issue. Got some MAF cleaner on it and the issue has been resolved.

I use a K&N filter and over time the oil can vaporise and adhere to the sensor and cause everything you said, stalling, hesitation under acceleration, rough idle, power loss etc

Make sure you only use MAF cleaner or you can melt the MAF, when you clean it the IAT (internal air temp) sensor is the one on the outside you can see, there are 2 MAF’s on the inside of the main body, the long bit with the circle bit at the end. They are 2 small and thin wires, use a lamp and look inside and then spray them till they are silver again.

Shake it off and make sure it’s dry, 2 or 3 minutes will do it.

Give it a try cheap fix before dropping big $$ on a rebuild!

Archived