LegacyGT.com

Reading dipstick

Does anyone else find that when checking oil the level, on the one side of the dipstick the level reads around a 1/4 inch higher than the other? Mine has always done this and I'm not sure what reading to go by. I usually aim to have the one side read full so the other side reads half, would this be optimal?

think about it, how can the oil level be higher than the lowest mark?

maybe there is a small dimple or low spot in the pool of oil in the pan?? not likely.

the lowest mark is the correct mark. when checking the oil, wait for a bit so any oil left in the ''tube'' by the dipstick has time to drip back down in to the pan.

^ What? That maybe the way you work on your car but dont get advice like that to people who are seeking the correct answer. Try and drive you car around with 2 qts and see how long it will last. If you think about it 2qts is probably barely enough to cover the filter and all of the engines oil galleries.

Op: this happens to a lot of cars. This happens on our engines because our dip sticks go into the oil pan on an angle. So use the higher of the two readings and top off from there. On my 2.5 with a filter it takes 4.2 qts. It also takes longer for our engines to fully drain back the oil into the pan due to it being a H engine so wait like 5 mins to recheck after an oil change or you'll over fill.

Thanks spooln, I figured it was due to the angle but half on one side and full on the other seemed a little extreme. The PO had the oil over the full mark which caused excessive oil leakage thar would burn off on the exhaust. I'm hoping the castrol high mileage will help with the leakage I have now because I don't want to put much more money into it. The less money that goes into my subi the more I can put into my 91 talon :p (oh and university).

Archived