LegacyGT.com

Article: How to clean your exhaust tips!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
I have had really good success with Eagle One NEVR-Dull Polish on the tips especially. Does take a bit of effort to get all of the carbon deposits and such off but they clean up real nice. On my Grand Cherokee i had custom tips installed and whenever I detailed the Eagle One worked well.

You guys are anal magpies, although I do clean my butt after each poop. I guess that makes me anal, too. ;)

Dry tissue only, wet wipes and tissue, soap, water & hairblower, CFC-free brake cleaner, or bidet? There are varying degrees of anality.

It is still ugly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I did the same thing with PB Blaster. The tar and grime after about 5 min just started running off. You could take a rag and just wiped it off.

Much better than bug and tar remover and on the stainless it didnt hurt it at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
The tip was to spray the exhausts with glass cleaner and then use really fine steel wool to polish them up. It definitely does the trick. Another product you could try is Eagle One wadding (Never Dull). It is just metal polish in a cotton that polishes up aluminum and steel really well. It takes a bit of elbow grease, but either method can make blackened exhaust tips look like new again. The trick is to maintain them once you get them shiny. They will go black again pretty quick, so this has to be part of your ritual if you want to keep them shiny.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
The tip was to spray the exhausts with glass cleaner and then use really fine steel wool to polish them up. It definitely does the trick. Another product you could try is Eagle One wadding (Never Dull). It is just metal polish in a cotton that polishes up aluminum and steel really well. It takes a bit of elbow grease, but either method can make blackened exhaust tips look like new again. The trick is to maintain them once you get them shiny. They will go black again pretty quick, so this has to be part of your ritual if you want to keep them shiny.

Just as a bump to a thread that probably needs to be seen again...

I know with anything that has a turbo on it you have to deal with black tail pipes. I mentioned Eagle One Never Dull, but failed to put up pics, so I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

2012 GTR before:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/20150228_135656.jpg

After:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/20150228_135636.jpg

All it takes is elbow grease and slave labor. ;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/20150228_140858.jpg

But that should show you that if an 11 year old can do it, then surely you can as well. Once you get them clean then they are a lot easier to keep that way. Just some glass cleaner and a towel once a week should be enough to keep them clean enough that not a lot of effort is needed to get them shiny again.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Is this the E1 ND Wadding?

Yup, that's the stuff. It does an outstanding job of cutting through tailpipe blackness. Depending on how neglected the pipes are it might take a little more elbow grease than if they were well maintained, but it can usually be handled without having to bust out any other metal polishes.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Seems very similar to the Never Dull we used in the military to polish our brass, likely with better results with E1
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived