LegacyGT.com

another head gasket issue..

its metal... got a new water pump.. pulled the old one off and it didnt have in sealant on it at all.. like i undid all the bolts and it fell off.. lucky i was holding it.. so i put the new on properly and sealed it properly.. just waiting to the sealing to dry up a little before putting coolant in.. also how much oil am i meant to put in?.. coz it took just under 5 litres before it was full on the dipstick :/

Park it level, let it run for about 4 minutes, turn it off and let it sit and drain back into the pan and check it a few times, if your going to put the atf in it like snederheiser said you will want to displace the half quart of atf with the motor oil...if you don't you may blow the oil pump main seal or rear main seal, they have the most pressure on them under load or running conditions.

So in short yeah drain about half quart before you put the half quart of atf.

Well actually the post I referred to earlier was a trick to clean those a bit and the ticking should cease...it makes sense to me, I just never would have thought of it.

Said to use about half of a quart of atf in your motor oil 500 miles prior to a next oil change, the tick will disappear and the atf helps that because of the cleaning properties it has. Unfortunately the hla's are not serviceable or adjustable...if they are bad they need to be replaced and I bet a ton easier replaced while the motor is out of the car. At least the hla's are easy to come by and pretty cheap at like $9-10 bucks a piece.

I was saying that you should not just add it and take off, it would probably be better to remove a little bit of oil from your pan before you add the atf.

Does anybody have anything to add on this??...it seems like an obscure trick prone to ridicule, but makes sense with how light and anti-corrosive atf is.

alright took her out for a drive today and after about an hour the check engine light came on.. so i plugged the two black wires under the dash and got a code.. was the o2 sensor.. so i had a look and it had either fallen out of the connector or i just forgot to plug it back in lol anyway after about another half hour of driving the tapping stopped.. runs so quiet and feels so smooth compared to when i first drove it.. its great..

thanks to all u guys for helping me out getting her running better than she was.. much appreciated :)

Archived