LegacyGT.com

Front door speakers, are they just mids?

BigBlack-V

• 1 year later...

Ok so i posted this thread a while back and its time for new speakers. I really just want a better set than stock to replace the front mids and or tweeters.

I talked to a guy at crutchfield who just confused me by saying i would need spacers and that i need an amp blah blah. I said i didnt want an amp i just wanted speakers to replace what i have.

I will remove the door panel and check the connections first maybe this weekend.

Is their a better speaker than stock that will just go in the place of the tweeter and mid?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Is their a better speaker than stock that will just go in the place of the tweeter and mid?

Yes, a coaxial such as the Polk DB. Here, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9111_Polk-Audio-db651.html

Another option would be these, https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs150p-4-6-reference-paper-woofer-4-ohm--295-373

What are you going to do OP? I don't want to waste my time writing a book here.

Yes, a coaxial such as the Polk DB. Here, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9111_Polk-Audio-db651.html

Another option would be these, https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs150p-4-6-reference-paper-woofer-4-ohm--295-373

What are you going to do OP? I don't want to waste my time writing a book here.

Just a speaker better than stock that will sound good with the stock HU. I know it won't sound great without an amp.

I like the first look audio ones. Would I have to disconnect my stock tweeters or just leave them be? Would I need to make a spacer to make the polk fit? I see they make a slim version is that speaker not sure if that would matter or not...?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Would I have to disconnect my stock tweeters or just leave them be?

You stated that you wanted to find a "better speaker than stock that will just go in the place of the tweeter and mid" so we recommended you a coaxial speaker, which of course has a built-in tweeter. Using two sets of tweeters is about as practical as trying to turn a 2.5GT into a 2.5i. No, disconnect your stock tweeters.

Would I need to make a spacer to make the polk fit? I see they make a slim version is that speaker not sure if that would matter or not...?

I can't answer this question. Maybe someone with an 08 Spec B can answer it.

Just a speaker better than stock that will sound good with the stock HU. I know it won't sound great without an amp.

Well yes it can sound great without an amp. Btw, I have had BOTH the Polk DB's and Dayton's in my Subaru hooked up to the stock head unit. The Dayton's have MUCH better bass and get just as loud as the Polk DB's. If you don't believe me, check out the Fs and sensitivity. Thiele small parameters don't lie. Also, the Dayton RS-150's are the go-to for OEM drop in replacement for the beamer guys.

If I were you, I'd just pick up two of the Dayton's I listed. Then you will not have to tamper with the stock tweeter. You can get away with no crossover on them. They make an aluminum cone version of that speaker, but it has nasty break up and there's no way in hell I'm gonna try explaining to you how to wire an inductor to it so just go with the paper cones.

If you're dissatisfied, Parts Express has a 45 day no hassle return. Also shipping is free on orders over $100, and they have a $5 flat rate shipping special going on now. Only way I can see you not happy is your front speakers will sound better than your rears and you're going to get mad at me cuz you're gonna feel obligated to drop another hundo on rear speakers.

So by your mini profile, it looks like you have an 08 Spec B. Now, I'm assuming that you don't have the Premium HK speaker system, or if you do, the speakers have blown.

Now before anyone says anything about the HK system, unless your a bass hound or a serious audiophile, it does quite a nice job IMHO. And if you are a bass hound, STOP IT! Spend your money elsewhere. No one's impressed. The looks you're getting aren't of admiration, they're of disdain.

Moving along .... SO assuming you you don't have the HK system, just replacing the speakers aren't going to do much as the factory stereo is low voltage and doesn't produce very much wattage. You may notice a difference in clarity but, I personally, feel it's a waste of money, unless your speakers just need to be replaced. That being said, you don't have to break the bank with a new HU either. I mean, if it was me, I'd go all out with a double din (now that they offer a DD faceplate) with the works. But you can get a nice JVC or Pioneer (two brands I recommend for HU now that Eclipse is no longer) for under a couple hundred bucks. I would make sure that it's at least 5v and 55w per channel.

You also of course have the option of keeping your factory HU, and putting in a nice component set powered by an external amp.

Now as for speakers (talking coaxial now, not component), I personally have tried many different brands. Polk audio makes a great speaker, there's no denying that, however there's better in the same price range. I prefer JBL and Massive Audio. JBL makes a wide range of speakers that would fit in our cars. If you're not a SERIOUS audiophile, you can easily get away with the GT series JBL offers and you won't be sorry. They also have the P series that's a bit of a step above the GT's. You can pick up a set of (2) either for under $150. JBL is owned by Harman, as well as Infinity.

Massive Audio are another brand that make a great speaker. They're made right here in the USA and have price points starting under $100 but can go up past $1000. I would suggest the LX6 coaxial, or the LK6 component set. Now the LK6 does not come with or require a crossover like many component sets. It simple comes with a 6.5 woofer and 20mm tweeter set. With the LK6 you could replace all 4 speakers in the door. Again, all of these can be set for under $150.

My Celica AllTrac came with a 10 speaker JBL system that I replaced with newer, better JBL speakers; do I notice a difference? Sure I do, but for a daily driver 09 Legacy, the factory HK system does just nicely.

IDK if any of this helps .... I could be going in a completely different direction that you wanted. I have an extensive knowledge of car audio at your disposal if you want to point me in a direction you want. Keep in mind that though part of audio is math and therefor inarguable, a large percentage of it is personal opinion. We all hear things differently and thus you will receive many different answers to what to buy. You also are going to have people that upgrade their factory speakers with SONY's or similar from Wal-Mart and swear by them because they sounded so much better than factory, but never ventured to try anything else.

Stay away from Alpine as well if I were you. The sound isn't bad, they're just over-hyped and over-priced.

I would entertain replacing the factory speakers on the 08. My buddy did it on his wife's 08 legacy, and it was a MUCH needed improvement. Also - I have the 09 HK system. I dislike it, all 380 watts of it. LOL.

With that being said, I would just order something (that has been recommended), and put them in. If you need a spacer, you'll find out. Fashion something while you're in there. It's not like you're replacing a transmission.

Would I have to disconnect my stock tweeters or just leave them be?

You stated that you wanted to find a "better speaker than stock that will just go in the place of the tweeter and mid" so we recommended you a coaxial speaker, which of course has a built-in tweeter. Using two sets of tweeters is about as practical as trying to turn a 2.5GT into a 2.5i. No, disconnect your stock tweeters.

Would I need to make a spacer to make the polk fit? I see they make a slim version is that speaker not sure if that would matter or not...?

I can't answer this question. Maybe someone with an 08 Spec B can answer it.

Well yes it can sound great without an amp. Btw, I have had BOTH the Polk DB's and Dayton's in my Subaru hooked up to the stock head unit. The Dayton's have MUCH better bass and get just as loud as the Polk DB's. If you don't believe me, check out the Fs and sensitivity. Thiele small parameters don't lie. Also, the Dayton RS-150's are the go-to for OEM drop in replacement for the beamer guys.

If I were you, I'd just pick up two of the Dayton's I listed. Then you will not have to tamper with the stock tweeter. You can get away with no crossover on them. They make an aluminum cone version of that speaker, but it has nasty break up and there's no way in hell I'm gonna try explaining to you how to wire an inductor to it so just go with the paper cones.

If you're dissatisfied, Parts Express has a 45 day no hassle return. Also shipping is free on orders over $100, and they have a $5 flat rate shipping special going on now. Only way I can see you not happy is your front speakers will sound better than your rears and you're going to get mad at me cuz you're gonna feel obligated to drop another hundo on rear speakers.

Thank you for the info above. As if i inderstand correctly the polk's would have two tweeters and the daltons do not. If either or would be a good choice I will just go with the Daltons at the price if they are a replacement for stock and a decent speaker.

Odd thing is yesterday in the AM the left front at least speakers were very weak sounding but on my way home they sounded great. The mid/woofer sounds a little blown on one side which is why I want to replace them. I am thinking the connection is loose possibly not 100% sure until I take the door panels off.

So by your mini profile, it looks like you have an 08 Spec B. Now, I'm assuming that you don't have the Premium HK speaker system, or if you do, the speakers have blown.

Now before anyone says anything about the HK system, unless your a bass hound or a serious audiophile, it does quite a nice job IMHO. And if you are a bass hound, STOP IT! Spend your money elsewhere. No one's impressed. The looks you're getting aren't of admiration, they're of disdain.

Moving along .... SO assuming you you don't have the HK system, just replacing the speakers aren't going to do much as the factory stereo is low voltage and doesn't produce very much wattage. You may notice a difference in clarity but, I personally, feel it's a waste of money, unless your speakers just need to be replaced. That being said, you don't have to break the bank with a new HU either. I mean, if it was me, I'd go all out with a double din (now that they offer a DD faceplate) with the works. But you can get a nice JVC or Pioneer (two brands I recommend for HU now that Eclipse is no longer) for under a couple hundred bucks. I would make sure that it's at least 5v and 55w per channel.

You also of course have the option of keeping your factory HU, and putting in a nice component set powered by an external amp.

Now as for speakers (talking coaxial now, not component), I personally have tried many different brands. Polk audio makes a great speaker, there's no denying that, however there's better in the same price range. I prefer JBL and Massive Audio. JBL makes a wide range of speakers that would fit in our cars. If you're not a SERIOUS audiophile, you can easily get away with the GT series JBL offers and you won't be sorry. They also have the P series that's a bit of a step above the GT's. You can pick up a set of (2) either for under $150. JBL is owned by Harman, as well as Infinity.

Massive Audio are another brand that make a great speaker. They're made right here in the USA and have price points starting under $100 but can go up past $1000. I would suggest the LX6 coaxial, or the LK6 component set. Now the LK6 does not come with or require a crossover like many component sets. It simple comes with a 6.5 woofer and 20mm tweeter set. With the LK6 you could replace all 4 speakers in the door. Again, all of these can be set for under $150.

My Celica AllTrac came with a 10 speaker JBL system that I replaced with newer, better JBL speakers; do I notice a difference? Sure I do, but for a daily driver 09 Legacy, the factory HK system does just nicely.

IDK if any of this helps .... I could be going in a completely different direction that you wanted. I have an extensive knowledge of car audio at your disposal if you want to point me in a direction you want. Keep in mind that though part of audio is math and therefor inarguable, a large percentage of it is personal opinion. We all hear things differently and thus you will receive many different answers to what to buy. You also are going to have people that upgrade their factory speakers with SONY's or similar from Wal-Mart and swear by them because they sounded so much better than factory, but never ventured to try anything else.

Stay away from Alpine as well if I were you. The sound isn't bad, they're just over-hyped and over-priced.

Thank you for the information above it was helpful but a bit above what I am looking for honstly. LightFantastic is more in line with what I am looking for so between the Dalton's and the Polks which one do you like?

If I did go with the pol's are the clim versions recommended?

No I do not have the HK system that was done in the 2009 specB

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

I can't argue with jasejase. After writing the above, I did stop to think about how I haven't owned a vehicle in a LONG time that didn't come with some sort of "premium" system from the factory, so upgrading YOUR speakers may actually do more justice than I previously stated. I still support my aforementioned brands and recommendations.

And yeah, do I LOVE the HK system .... no .... but at least for right now, for what is essentially my winter car, I can't foresee me swapping anything audio in the near future. I've had worse "premium" systems, that's for sure. The 10 speaker in my Celica Alltrac was pretty beat when I came to own it so I can't say much for that before I replaced it with all new JBL's, but I'm sure even in 1991 it wasn't anything to write home about compared to today's systems and the 8 speaker JBL system in my 99 Celica GT-S was none too pleasing until I swapped the HU with a DD JVC and upgraded the speakers with a mix if JBLs and Massive's.

F it I will just replace the front and rear speakers its cheap enough. Polk's you mentioned above or Daltons? I will also prob be getting those spacers as it appears I will need them.

The website you mentioned above all four Polks shipped would be $124 not a bad deal better than amazon !!

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Where did you put the amp? With a wagon, I'd prefer to avoid the trunk, since I do use it from time to time..

I'm interested in possibly replacing front + rear speakers. The DB651s are $62/pair right now? That seems insanely cheap - $125 for all 4??

They also seem to be able to handle 180 watts peak, so, even if I later decide to add an amp or a new HU with higher wattage, they should be able to handle it, correct?

Now, anyone know anything about an '08 Grand Caravan with "base" 1-CD stereo? :lol: I know, I know, but I'm sure the wife would love an audio upgrade..

I will be ordering the Polk DB651's today for the front and rears and also ordering the PVC spacers from the link above. Cant go wrong for $179 for all new speakers and spacers !!

speakers were cheaper $117.78 putting in 5NOV for a discount on sonic electronics

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Awesome. So, with the spacers, it's supposed to be mostly plug-and-play?

Apparently the Grand Caravan has 6x9s in the back with 3" mounting depth max, and 6x9s in the front that won't fit any real 6x9s, so they recommend 5.25s (according to Crutchfield's installation guide). Are the JBL-GT6-69s any good? They seem to be a really good deal for $49.99 at sonic..

Polks are a good brand that, though there may be "better", you can't go wrong with.

I've only used Polk once, in a 1999 Civic Si show car I had and they sponsored me. I like them. I have since found speakers I like better but, that's my taste as well.

Archived