LegacyGT.com

New wheels, new alignment?

Buzzman

After trying to fit an agressive setup and failing I decided to sell my wheels. When I got my new wheels, I kept the alignment and camber settings from my old wheels, however. The new wheels fit well with the amount of camber I have but I feel like they're a bit too sunken in from all the negative camber. First, do I need a new alignment regardless of if they fit or not? And second, if I do not need an alignment, should I hold off on one since my wheels already fit with my prexisting camber settings? Thanks guys.

As long as your suspension is relatively stiff, 2 degrees of camber won't cause any substantial increase in tire wear.

Tire wear typically associated with increased camber is almost always caused by toe changes as the wheel cycles scrubbing the shoulder. That scrubbing is simply more pronounced when camber angles increase as there is some additional load seen on the surface of the tire. That load, alone, won't increase tire wear by itself.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

As long as your suspension is relatively stiff, 2 degrees of camber won't cause any substantial increase in tire wear.

Tire wear typically associated with increased camber is almost always caused by toe changes as the wheel cycles scrubbing the shoulder. That scrubbing is simply more pronounced when camber angles increase as there is some additional load seen on the surface of the tire. That load, alone, won't increase tire wear by itself.

Came in here to say this... but found it already well handled. :)

Archived