LegacyGT.com

Ethanol Use in Denver Metro Area

Outback XT

I have searched the internet and found no answer. Last I knew we were only on 10% Ethanol during the winter months (November-February I believe) but I have noticed that some pumps have changed the wording on their label to say either "this product may contain ethanol" or "this product contains ethanol."

Are we burning it year round now by law or because of the oil companies? Or are their certain stations that still have regular gas during the summer. I tend to use Shell as it seems to give me the best gas mileage and they fall into the "may" contain ethanol category. The label also said to inquire within for more details and of course they were clueless. Anyone know?

Even though I usually use Shell, the Conoco station I filled up at last week specifically said "this product contains ethanol." The labels on the pumps used to say the specific dates when the tank had ethanol. So something is going on and I don't know where to go for the answers. Maybe I will try a couple of different car forums and see if there is anything there.

I noticed this at conoco too. I'm not used to ethanol gas being from TX, but I hear it is better for the environment to use it. Also, I remember reading that Congress passed a bill to require more ethanol use in gasoline. I'm interested in where the best place to get gas is in Northern Denver, so let me know if you find out. :)

This came from a guy at Nabisco:

ethanol is in the fuel year round, it was made federal law years ago as a gimmie to the farmers lobby in washington D.C. it was also done to try to lessen the amount of oil imported into the US from overseas. as measured I have seen it as high as 16% in the winter and 10 % in the summer, as where I work we send out fuel for testing for drivability complaints to check for fuel contamination on problem cars under warranty.

a couple stations may still carry MTBE year round but I havent seen one in years due to the harmfull effects it has on humans, not to mention ethanol is cheaper to produce.

B.

Archived