LegacyGT.com

Pinesmoker's adventure with a free LGT

So as some of you know I was giving a 98 LGT wagon. I was told the transmission was bad and that it hasn't moved in a year or so. So first thing first charged the battery and added some fresh gas. Fired up in a matter of seconds. Ran really well until I let the clutch out and it let out a metal grinding sound from hell. (Bad transmission) So off the local pick and pull. Found a cable style trans out of a 94 Legacy ran into few little hiccups, but went together perfectly. Fired her up and I was rolling until I noticed white smoke coming from the tail pipe. First thing I did was pull the radiator cap and look for air bubbles... $Hit air bubbles.(Blown head gasket) So now I sit looking at a free LGT that I'm 350 bucks and three days into thinking that I'm gone to dump another 600 just to drive this Thing.. Note to self.... Nothing is ever free.... Except herpes. Haha

Stay tune

Chapter 2 Changing Head Gaskets,

Started by removing the battery, airbox,alt etc. etc. get down to the intake and about to remove it when I see a little metal tag stamped it the back housing. Remove the intake to see the tag it a attarco motor. Is this good or bad? I have no way of knowing why the motor was replaced. So my question is how do I start going about getting the correct head gaskets . The dealer wants my vin number, but as the motor was replaced what do I give them?

So after further review. I find that the motor in my 98 LGT is a 97 or 96 due to the timing being differen. The tensioner is a long little cylinder VS the pulley tensioner on the 98's. If there I any way of finding out what year my engine is can someone tell me.

remove the valve cover and look at the valve lash adjusters,

screw bolt and lock nut = 97+.

HLAs = 90 - 96 and non-interference.

Only the SOHC have the adjustable valve lash, or screw bolt and nut. The DOHC has shim over buckets in the 97+

Archived