LegacyGT.com

Out-of-State Vehicle Purchase

Nachowang

I could sure use some advice please. So I purchased my Legacy in CT last saturday to be registered in NY. I was scheduled to pick it up this weekend and I had called earlier and they said "It wont be ready til tuesday" which is no good for me cause I only have time on weekends and I have travel plans for the next 2 weekends.

Question is, arent they suppose to provide me with a temporary license (paper) that goes on the back and then have the actual license plate and registration mailed to me?? My friend just purchased a car in NJ on a friday and picked it up on monday, same as me living in NY and thats what he had. Dealer keeps saying they need to have the plates in the hands while im already paying insurance and the car is just sitting there! So i'm here wondering WTH is going on.

Advice from people who has purchased from out-of-state?

TIA!

^^ +1 to what he said. My brother bought a car in Jersey, and the dealer did all the reg. work, then sent him the plates, etc. They gave him a temp. paper plate, for about 30 days, and that was that.

By the way, heights...where ya located in NY?

Good luck!

New Rochelle here...raised here, but not born here. Lived in Aruba before I moved here, but that was when I was 3...so I don't remember much. Also live in the Himalayas for 4 years...and Massachusetts...etc. Long list of places...what can I say...life leads me to travel.

+1 to that as well.

Bought my car in Cleveland and I live in So. Indiana. I have had the paper plate for the past 3 weeks and they are good for another one. They took care of all the reg., title and license and are supposed to mail it to me. The only off thing is that I had to get my car "inspected" by a duly appointed agent of the DMV... all they did was read of my VIN number and sent me away.

Good luck, it sounds like there is something weird going on in your case...maybe they are just incompetent ;).

I did the exact opposite, I bought the car in NY and had it regustered in CT, my dealer had the plates for me in a few days and it was not a hastle. I do live in NY but I am in CT alot. I didn't have any problems, they had the car before expected but i had papaer tags for a few days but no big deal. Good luck man hope to see ya at a meet soon, we do them on weds nights in norther jersey or rockland. :)

I don't think they'll give you paper plates. I live in New City (stone throw away from you !) and bought Camaro in CT last year, the guy said that they can only register in CT and get regular plates not temporary, seemed silly to me so I drove home with plates from my other car (it was a used car dealer so he didn't care and let me go like that).

Hey neighbor

I would think issuing a paper plate would be a NYS rule of thumb since the car is registered there. If somebody came to CA to buy a car in CT, they wont be able to leave for 1.5 week just for waiting on a plate? That's silly.

Hey, don't blame me. The dealer specifically said it's CT rule. Pretty silly if you ask me.

Enjoy your new ride anyway. I've just picked up my LGT LTD wagon 5MT yesterday.

Too early to tell if it's everything I ever wanted, I'll give it few days and share my observations.

-DR

Hey neighbor

I would think issuing a paper plate would be a NYS rule of thumb since the car is registered there. If somebody came to CA to buy a car in CT, they wont be able to leave for 1.5 week just for waiting on a plate? That's silly.

Archived