LegacyGT.com

Amateur Motorsports and How You Can Get Involved with You Legacy.

StoplightAssassin

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

You need a substantial investment into a dedicated car, tow rig, safety equipment, and licensing. Event entry is usually quite expensive as well plus all of the consumables.

If that doesn't scare you off try rally America. NASA also has a rally series.

Some hillclimbs will allow limited prep, street driven cars to enter, but I would highly caution against doing so.

Maby ill look into that rally x first then lol sounds cheaper and a good way to start learning what I like in a competitive car and let me build it up slowly. Thanks for the info and the heads up on costing a lot of money

Maby ill look into that rally x first then lol sounds cheaper and a good way to start learning what I like in a competitive car and let me build it up slowly. Thanks for the info and the heads up on costing a lot of money

Just to get it all out there, the level of prep between SCCA Rallycross and Rally America (etc) and rule set is monstrous.

Many people in SCCA Rallycross race their daily drivers. In most cases all you need to bring with you is a mechanically sound car with all seasons. While some cars have a large monetary investment, it's nothing compared to a staged rally series. For a staged rally, we're talking about purpose built race cars stripped down to the frames and then seam welded, all the while adhering to strict rules.

If you really wanted to get into staged rallies, the best thing to do is to buy someone's rally car with logbook.

Just to get it all out there, the level of prep between SCCA Rallycross and Rally America (etc) and rule set is monstrous.

Many people in SCCA Rallycross race their daily drivers. In most cases all you need to bring with you is a mechanically sound car with all seasons. While some cars have a large monetary investment, it's nothing compared to a staged rally series. For a staged rally, we're talking about purpose built race cars stripped down to the frames and then seam welded, all the while adhering to strict rules.

If you really wanted to get into staged rallies, the best thing to do is to buy someone's rally car with logbook.

+1 on buying an already prepped car with a logbook. The amount of work it takes to make a car reasonably competitive is about 10x what you would pay for one is already finished.

look on racingjunk.com and other race car for sale sites. If you need any help figuring out how expensive it is to build your own, start here - http://subaruwrcspares.com/1.html

I ment build the car up from a daily into a super competitive rally x car while still being able to do events while upgrading instead of having to do it all at once before I can even compeate lol and if im racing competitivly ima eventualy have a cage installed so why not maby make that future cage something legal for stage rally :rolleyes:

• I Donated
Iand if im racing competitivly ima eventualy have a cage installed so why not maby make that future cage something legal for stage rally :rolleyes:

So you're not planning on using the car on the street ever again? It's unsafe to have a cage in a street car, unless you plan on wearing a helmet whenever you drive it and never having any passengers.

I ment build the car up from a daily into a super competitive rally x car while still being able to do events while upgrading instead of having to do it all at once before I can even compeate lol and if im racing competitivly ima eventualy have a cage installed so why not maby make that future cage something legal for stage rally :rolleyes:

having done pretty much everything except install the cage, seat & fire system, I'd suggest riding in someone's built rally car and then think about driving such a thing on the street. Yeah, it sounds fun. However, the fun rapidly pales when you realize startup times, and curbs, and wear/tear on you/the car, and no door locks, and extremely expensive race parts being subjected to the daily grind of commuting.

Buy a 2nd car, build the rally car and drive the other one. If you are just playing around, keep driving your current car. And talk to everyone you can find that rallies. Everyone doing seriously has at least 3 cars (one to rally, one to haul the rally car, and one to salvage parts for the rally car)

It seems I just cant get my words right :lol: I ment take a car from being a daily to a competitive race car. Keeping it street legal would only be for rare ocasions on the street to drive it to events on cheap no name tires with steelies. No matter what im keepin my secound gen

It seems I just cant get my words right :lol: I ment take a car from being a daily to a competitive race car. Keeping it street legal would only be for rare ocasions on the street to drive it to events on cheap no name tires with steelies. No matter what im keepin my secound gen

Not to harsh on your parade, however, look up youtube for "rally car wrecks". Driving a rally car to the event means needing your AAA premium membership at least once if not more.

I race with a guy who drives his race car to the track. He has AAA premium and uses it once or twice a year. In his budget, it's cheaper to buy that than a truck & trailer.

Regardless of what you decide, spend your money on cage & safety equipment. When you're heading for the tree, knowing your cage was built by JoeBob's Muffler Shop should not be your last regret.

If you are serious about rally racing, there are better forums than this one for getting really good advice. You should also be talking to other rally ppl getting an idea of what you need and how much its going to cost. Racing is not cheap, regardless of what vehicle you start with.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • I Donated
I updated the autocross section to reflect some interesting rule changes in Street Touring and Street Prepared that effect the classing and competitiveness of the LGT.

Nice! Being able to use a VF52 or VF39 on 4th gens in SP will be huge.

A WRX is still a better option though, due to its lower weight. But nice for the people who just want to start out running the car they have now, rather than buying the car based on what's competitive in autocross.

Slightly off topic, but have you heard anything about Stinger GT classing? My guess is FS, but apparently SCCA forgot to class them before the beginning of the season.

I'm TRYING to get to an auto-x event.. Alas, I'm in SM right from the start, so I'll be WAY outclassed.. Too bad my bnr16g doesn't get an "equivalent to vf52" rating :-)

Nice! Being able to use a VF52 or VF39 on 4th gens in SP will be huge.

A WRX is still a better option though, due to its lower weight. But nice for the people who just want to start out running the car they have now, rather than buying the car based on what's competitive in autocross.

Slightly off topic, but have you heard anything about Stinger GT classing? My guess is FS, but apparently SCCA forgot to class them before the beginning of the season.

They class cars when they are officially released. Probably FS for the 3.3 and DS for the 2.0. Write a letter asking for it to be classed and it should be included in the next Fastrack.

Edited by StoplightAssassin

I'm TRYING to get to an auto-x event.. Alas, I'm in SM right from the start, so I'll be WAY outclassed.. Too bad my bnr16g doesn't get an "equivalent to vf52" rating :-)

Depending on the region you run, you may be surprised at how under prepared some cars are for their classes.

A set of Hoosiers go a long way. :lol:

As a novice, classing is the least of your worries. it s the nut behind the wheel that needs tightening. Just go for the seat time and the fun. Being competitive will come int o play later when you get good.

• I Donated
One of the regions I have run with has a special class for SM cars with street tires. I ran in it when I had my Spec.B. It was mostly idiots like me who had modded their cars without any conception of how it would affect their classing. Which of course meant it was full of slow drivers.

I still did terribly, but it could have been worse! [emoji38]

As a novice, classing is the least of your worries. it s the nut behind the wheel that needs tightening. Just go for the seat time and the fun. Being competitive will come int o play later when you get good.
100% agree. Your number one goal as a novice should be to not be DFL (in either raw or PAX times). IIRC, I was pretty close for my first couple autocrosses. I'm still usually around 2/3 of the way down the list. But I've started beating non-novices in my own class and even higher classes, so I'll take that as a win. ;)
They class cars when they are officially released. Probably FS for the 3.3 and DS for the 2.0. Write a letter asking for it to be classed and it should be included in the next Fastrack.
Wait, so you mean you can just... Ask them to class a car? :eek:

I think I'll at least wait until I get confirmation from the insurance company that they are totaling my SS.

• 2 years later...

Updated and added a couple things. New autocross class Extreme Street A and added a section for Time Trials.

Been a long time since I saw an LGT at an event. Gotta wonder how many are left. I believe I saw in a Fasttrack that the LGT was being considered to move to GS, so I may need to update again soon.

they put the 2.0L wrx in GS along with the 210hp civic si turbo and VW GTIs IIRC. Not like the LGT(and wrx) can do much in DS with the EVO/STI/FoRS. STH is really the best place for older turbo subarus that arent STI. at some point all cars go to HS. :lol: