LegacyGT.com

paint!!

does anyone know a good place to get my car painted and dents all repaired? dents are no bigger then quarters. scratches but no deep grooves. and no, macco is not good so we can count them out. i've talked to some ppl and they say it'll cost me like 3-4k for a good job. i thought that was total crap....but maybe im wrong, i dont know about paint. thanks guys.

I probably spent about $1000 painting my wagon. That's just a guess. I didn't want to add it all up, lol. And I did pretty much all the work. I did spend $300 to get the rear frame pulled. My auto body teacher (I took a community class) said that my paint job would have been a $5k+ job easy with the amount of work I did. Thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/monkeyposeurs-hatch-replacement-and-body-work-thread-175934.html?p=4170979

$4k will get you a good paint job but if you want a great paint job done the correct way then it will run in the $6-7k range. The right way to paint an entire car would be to remove all of the fixed windows, remove both bumpers, headlights and tail lights and all of the trim and rubber weather stripping even the on the doors so the door jams can be sprayed. Many body shops will just tape off everything and trust me it will look bad plus the opportunity for the paint and clear will chip because there will be a edge under the trims.Also at that price you could get the engine bay painted since there is room to spray around the engine. You would have to remove everything bolted to the metal that would get painted. A great paint job also requires the body shop to strip all of the old paint and get it down to bare metal, I'm not saying getting the car media blasted cuz that would involve disassembling almost the whole car but they can sand it to the metal. Lastly for the "mirror" finish a multi step wet sanding and buffing will make the clear coat look like its wet and IMO is the only way to go. I wouldn't want a new paint job with tons of orange peel making my car look like a refrigerator. LOL.

Even factory paint jobs have a little bit of orange peel. A cut and buff will make it smooth and wet looking like spooln mentioned. If you think $3-4k is too much for a paint job do it yourself and see how much labor and skill is involved.

Stripping the paint off is ideal, but not practical for many of us. Good paint and prep should last you at least 6 years.

And now here are some shameless photos of my awesome paint job.

attachment-3.thumb.jpg.b8800128841c78f99f4117947ab25a9b.jpg

attachment-4.thumb.jpg.c298d635377d2b9b6b7843b121e64625.jpg

attachment-5.thumb.jpg.e696d4725f43e9e9df89e4a4bb7a46d9.jpg

I agree that most factory paint jobs will have some orange peel but higher end ones won't have much or any at all. I have noticed that GM, Ford and Chrysler has some of the worst factory paint jobs in the car industry. My friend, no names will be mentioned due to the humiliation, owns a 2011 Chrysler 200 and beings its black any and every imperfection is noticeable but the amount of orange peel is sad. It's almost like the robot that was spraying the clear coat that day had a low battery and just moved really slow. LOL. Like I said above, it looks like a refrigerator.

Archived