LegacyGT.com

Burnt out headlight or fuse????

Today my passanger side high beam, and DRL went out! The brights and fog lights still work though. I was wondering if I need to replace the lights or the fuse or something else. I find it weird that BOTH of them would go out at the same time :confused: I don't know what to do :spin:

Brian.

That makes sense but the manual says that low beam light is 12v-55w H7 and high beam light 12v-60w 9005 (HB3). They are two different kind of bulbs. Which one do I buy? I think I'm just going to call my Subaru dealer up and ask them. I'm alittle confused.

Brian.

Okay, let me explain this again. Subaru uses the high beam as the DRL. When your car is running, lights are off, and the parking brake is off, the car sends a low voltage to the high beam bulb, and voila, you have DRL, in other words, you have a partially lit high beam bulb. When you turn your lights on, that lower voltage is no longer sent to the high beam bulb to produce DRL and the light function as normal, full voltage low beam or full voltage high beam, 2 separate bulbs.

Buy a new high beam bulb and replace it. Everything will work properly.

Okay, let me explain this again. Subaru uses the high beam as the DRL. When your car is running, lights are off, and the parking brake is off, the car sends a low voltage to the high beam bulb, and voila, you have DRL, in other words, you have a partially lit high beam bulb. When you turn your lights on, that lower voltage is no longer sent to the high beam bulb to produce DRL and the light function as normal, full voltage low beam or full voltage high beam, 2 separate bulbs.

Buy a new high beam bulb and replace it. Everything will work properly.

No it doesn't. Before you dish information out, you should check the model of the OP's car. DRL on my model is the LOW BEAM bulb running at lower voltage. You're in the 4th gen LGT subforum.

The OP's car must be a really late 07 then, or a really early 08, cuz Subaru switched the DRL to the high beam for 08.

How else would it make sense that OP's low beam works but high beam and DRL are out on the same side, and that side only?

Yeah I called my Subaru dealer and they said it is 2 bulbs not 1. They told me to bring it in because I could have a bad connection thats why both are out. So I'll just bring it in and let them find the problem. But it is not the fuse. I switched fuses for drivers side and passangers side and the same side is out. So i'm guessing bad connection like Subaru said or both of my bulbs blew at the same time.

Brian.

The OP's car must be a really late 07 then, or a really early 08, cuz Subaru switched the DRL to the high beam for 08.

How else would it make sense that OP's low beam works but high beam and DRL are out on the same side, and that side only?

I dunno, you got me on that but he says he has an 07 so it should be the same setup as mine...

Yeah I called my Subaru dealer and they said it is 2 bulbs not 1. They told me to bring it in because I could have a bad connection thats why both are out. So I'll just bring it in and let them find the problem. But it is not the fuse. I switched fuses for drivers side and passangers side and the same side is out. So i'm guessing bad connection like Subaru said or both of my bulbs blew at the same time.

Brian.

maybe you're not describing it accurately to us.

saying "brights" is the same as the "high beam". low beams are the normal headlights. your original post sounds like you're misusing the terms perhaps?

Archived