LegacyGT.com

Your exhaust layout

I've yet to find a thread about your intake/exhaust layout from the minute the air hits the filter to the instant it's spat out the muffler tip.

The purpose of this thread is to aid me on a build that I want. I'm still learning about what the benefits are of catless up/down pipes, etc. Hell, knowing what my stock layout is would be a great start.

I'd love to go catless up/down, and figure out if I need or need to get a resonator. The muffler and pipes will be replaced regardless. But knowing what is best for my car is what I'm trying to figure out.

I have a diagram of the WRX intake/exhaust, and a few "enthusiast generated" mod's. One in particular has no resonator or cat anywhere, just straight piping to the muffler.

Thanks in advance. PM's welcome.

A stock intake will suit your needs fine until you are stage 2 or beyond. You will not see any real performance gains, (if any at all) if you were to run a aftermarket intake. There are a lot of threads discussing the pros and cons of running an aftermarket or stock intake.

A lot of people change it for the sound and for looks (but bear in mind you will have to tune for it)

Your 2005 lgt has a cat in the up-pipe, that makes your turbo spool up later and in the long term may come apart or something of that nature and ruin your turbo. So with a catless up-pipe you will see gains in, Better spool and maybe a little better flow. Your turbo will spool up to 500rpm sooner. Here is a link discussing stock catless up-pipes and aftermarket ones.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-catless-vs-aftermarket-up-pipe-debate-132863.html

As for running a catted or catless dp that is all up to you! It all depends on how much you want to spend. I have heard great things about CNT and they are dirt cheap. I have been told that a catless dp is better because you will see more gains, but either dp will be fine. I Ran a Perrin dual catted dp on my stage 2 tune and i had no complaints. As for the rest of the exhaust thats all up for you. Sounds like your trying to make a custom exhaust?

For me it's an AEM intake fed into a Perrin turbo inlet hooked to a TD06-20G. From there it goes into a FMIC and piping kit. From here pretty much the same on all cars, throttle body intake manifold engine exhaust. Then exits through a set of Megan headers and catless up pipe to the Megan catless down pipe. Then exits through an Ebay cheap cat back dual muffler set up.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

For me it's an AEM intake fed into a Perrin turbo inlet hooked to a TD06-20G. From there it goes into a FMIC and piping kit. From here pretty much the same on all cars, throttle body intake manifold engine exhaust. Then exits through a set of Megan headers and catless up pipe to the Megan catless down pipe. Then exits through an Ebay cheap cat back dual muffler set up.

What's the sound you're getting from it? That low and percussive rumble is sexy to me. Granted my stock exhaust sounds pretty b-a. Do you use a resonator? And by the dual muffler, you're talking a y-pipe, right?

The layout for that diagram is also accurate for our LGTs, with the exception that "BOV" should be "BPV" and should have a recirculating hose back to the turbo inlet. But that would complicate the diagram. Also, the TMIC sits on top of the turbo and connects directly.

What's the sound you're getting from it? That low and percussive rumble is sexy to me. Granted my stock exhaust sounds pretty b-a. Do you use a resonator? And by the dual muffler, you're talking a y-pipe, right?

Very mellow rumble mat idle. I am running BC stage 2 cams too. Depends on speed on the highway, sometimes a little drone inside the car.

Running this set up here. Not a perfect fit, I had to do a little cutting and welding to get the tips centered in the cut outs, but for price I would do it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-4-TIP-OVAL-MUFFLER-MIDPIPE-CAT-BACK-CATBACK-EXHAUST-05-09-SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-/350682942624?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a6550ca0&vxp=mtr

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

Is there any reason to change from the stock bpv to an after market unit? Is there a certain boost level that the stock unit can't hold pressure anymore?

Id rather keep a bpv than go to a bov. In fact, if I do a turbo swap I will be getting a turbo with a bpv if I find one to fit my needs.

A properly set up BOV won't make any more or less power than a properly setup BPV.

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You both need to search and read here regarding BPV vs BOV.

Bottom line: our cars are pull through MAF based vehicles, meaning if you get a BOV (vent to atmosphere) it throws off the air/fuel mixture and causes you to run rich momentarily. How badly it hurts the car is debatable but it does hurt performance a tiny bit after the shift.

• I Donated
Is there any reason to change from the stock bpv to an after market unit? Is there a certain boost level that the stock unit can't hold pressure anymore?

Varies. Usually 22ish psi, give or take a bit.

Id rather keep a bpv than go to a bov. In fact, if I do a turbo swap I will be getting a turbo with a bpv if I find one to fit my needs.

How would you get a turbo with a BPV? :iam: The turbo and the BPV are on opposite sides of the engine bay.

A properly set up BOV won't make any more or less power than a properly setup BPV.

There is no way to "properly set up" a BOV on our car. BOVs dump metered air out of the intake tract, thus making the car run super rich whenever you let off the throttle. There is no way to tune that out.

if you do a maf relocate to a charge pipe and retune then you wont have that rich condition with a bov

and yes, much search is needed lol

oh, thought the bpv was internal...really new here :lol:

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• I Donated
if you do a maf relocate to a charge pipe and retune then you wont have that rich condition with a bov

Easier said than done. I think you need to convert to speed-density if you do a blow-through?

oh, thought the bpv was internal...really new here :lol:

Maybe you're confusing it with the wastegate, which is internal.

Easier said than done. I think you need to convert to speed-density if you do a blow-through?

Maybe you're confusing it with the wastegate, which is internal.

this is what i meant, and i believe some of the borg warner efr turbos are set up the same way

the bpv bolts directly to the turbo

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/4369915-post8.html

http://www.full-race.com/img/articles/efr-turbos/efr-labels.jpg

http://pure-tuning.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/borgwarner/efrbov.gif

ok, my bad. :offtopic: kinda lol

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• I Donated
i thought the stock one was good till 18psi then you had to reinforce it?

Mine held fine to 20+psi.

this is what i meant, and i believe some of the borg warner efr turbos are set up the same way

the bpv bolts directly to the turbo

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/4369915-post8.html

Yeah, we don't have that. The BPV on our cars bolts to the IC right next to the outlet to the TB.

Archived