LegacyGT.com

Alternator Replacement - Easy and fixed my E-Bugs!

Unbeknownst to me, my alternator was dying a slow death. I was experiencing a host of problems that I thought were "old age & high mileage" but a properly functioning charging system fixed a host of bugs!

-low MPG - I used to get 23-27MPG in town/freeway but lately was getting 20MPG or worse

-Seat belt "mouse" on drivers side was acting up...when this occurred I could also hear a relay clicking somewhere behind me

-Stereo left channel would cut out and hum after driving for ~30 minutes.

My battery was 2 months old so my car would always start & otherwise ran normally....the newer battery was kind of a band-aid.

Finally, on a 200 mile drive my 'Battery' voltage light came on and the wipers, etc start to SLOOOW wayyy down.

Lots of mechanics more experienced than me might be saying "well duh, that's why your electrical system was acting up". But I thought I might pass this story along, especially if your MPG is low and your electrics start acting funny.

Replacing the alternator took all of 30 minutes..and that included re-installing the (recharged) battery. I barely even got my hands dirty and DIDN'T have to crawl on the wet pavement. Gotta love the ease of Boxer maintenance.

Signed, a Subaru fan for life!

Archived