LegacyGT.com

"Leaking" PCV Valve

So I took my car in for an oil change, because it's freezing cold and I don't feel like doing it. Decided to pay the slight premium to have it done at the stealership, just to see what their 293892874234 point inspection came up with. Aside from the fact that my car leaks oil from everywhere (it's called an OLD SUBARU) the notes on the sheet said:

"PCV VALVE LEAKING. RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT."

I've been meaning to take mine out and look at it, since it has never been replaced. The part was only $9, and the parts counter was about to close, so I just bought one on a whim and figured I'd just swap it for so little. Taking the old one out, I looked it over. It was covered in oil and crap, but when you shake it it still makes noise - the valve itself isn't gummed up. Probably didn't need to be replaced, but whatever - it was way overdue.

Then I got thinking. What did he mean that the valve was LEAKING?! How can the thing leak anyway? It is always allowing gasses to blow by... is this just mumbo-jumbo they use to talk you into replacing it? Or is there something else that I might have fixed by replacing it?

it may have not been threaded properly which would cause it to "leak", or the PCV valve could just be broken. if you can, just return the stealership pcv valve and go to autozone and get the same exact valve for 3 bucks. pretty easy to install, just make sure you dont cross thread it into the manifold. the last owner of my subie did, and now my PCV valve wont thread all the way.

i had a dealer service writer tell my my driveshaft was slipping one time... i asked him how a driveshaft slips, he didnt really have much to add to it. he did go in the back for a while and tell me the mech that wrote it on the ticket was gone for the day tho.

Archived