LegacyGT.com

turbo questions(kinda long)

Just because you have an access port doesn't mean you use ots maps. Your tuner can use an ap to develop a precise tune, custom for your car.

There are some benefits to the access port. Including e-tunes or brush ups. Easy data logging, monitoring, live data. Map switching. No need for a laptop. Much smaller. Easy interface.

Just because you have an access port doesn't mean you use ots maps. Your tuner can use an ap to develop a precise tune, custom for your car.

There are some benefits to the access port. Including e-tunes or brush ups. Easy data logging, monitoring, live data. Map switching. No need for a laptop. Much smaller. Easy interface.

Thanks for the education there.... my AP was Version 1. None of those options were available back in the day. Guess that makes me an old fart! :eek:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Domestic-Pro-Tuners-s/70754.htm

Cobb temporarily had their main HQ in Utah until a couple years ago. Surprised you didn't know more about that doc :iam:

Not as many Cobb Pro Tuners as there are open source tuners but the ease of use with the AP (now with LC and FFS) is pretty much amazing. And yes, if you need a custom E-tune and own an AP already you can always contact a Cobb Pro Tuner and have them send you a custom limp map (NOT an OTS map) to get you there for a dyno tune.

I'm a big fan of Calvin Dotson down at Cobb Plano. He's done a great job for me on multiple occasions and he was part of Subaru of Dallas for those of you familiar ;)

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Domestic-Pro-Tuners-s/70754.htm

Cobb temporarily had their main HQ in Utah until a couple years ago. Surprised you didn't know more about that doc :iam:

Off topic: My car was Cobb's test car for their 2nd gen DP for the 5EAT. And I still sold my AccessPort. And I sold my DP.

What more would you like to know???

Back on topic, BNR has stock-like turbos or mild to wild upgrades. I really like BNR's customer service and warranty. Best of luck!

Off topic: My car was Cobb's test car for their 2nd gen DP for the 5EAT. And I still sold my AccessPort. And I sold my DP.

What more would you like to know???

Back on topic, BNR has stock-like turbos or mild to wild upgrades. I really like BNR's customer service and warranty. Best of luck!

Didn't know that but I'm just giving you a hard time lol.

What was so bad about the DP and AP that you unmarried and sold them?

Depends on perspective. Is the KillerB oil pickup or IPT oil line pricey if they potentially save you a motor or a motor AND turbo? It seems like I will be keeping our 4th gens for 10 years or more so it was a simple choice for me.

:yeahthat: My over-modded LGT and lightly modded OBXT both sport some of the same mods, mods I wish the 4thG came with.

Swaybars (oem is horribly underswayed. much more important than struts/springs)

Endlinks (can get away with oem for a while)

Turbo Oil Filter Line Kit (or remove banjo if you feel comfortable with that)

Reinforced Oil Pickup (no brainer, LGT one was cracked when i dropped the pan)

Tune (not a fan of factory tune)

Upgraded Brake Pads (gonna go faster get more brakes)

Upgraded Tires (duh)

Hope it helps.

All these can be checked off, but oil pickup. Never have reason to drop the pan yet. I had 10's of thousands of miles over what most have on their cars at time of failures. Mite have to after this winter. Getting some good size rust blisters on the oil pan. Which I will go with the KillerB oil pickup & pan.

If still have mine for 10yrs. I be over 300k & maybe a different turbo by then;):lol:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

All these can be checked off, but oil pickup. Never have reason to drop the pan yet.

But if you had dropped the pan you would have at least done a pickup right? I do not think dropping the pan for the sake of a pickup is a good idea but I do think one should kick themself if they do not replace the pickup when dropping the pan.

My LGT pickup had a hairline crack ~60k miles. I could feel it with my fingernail about halfway around the pickup so it got replaced.

The OBXT is for the wife and after my pickup experience I can't justify NOT doing it when she keeps cars for as many miles as you do (nevermind the fact that it may save my wife from being stranded and then bitching at me). Well worth it in my case.

Of course, you have a few things the rest of us don't have like a slick oil system.

But if you had dropped the pan you would have at least done a pickup right? Yes,

My LGT pickup had a hairline crack ~60k miles. I could feel it with my fingernail about halfway around the pickup so it got replaced.

The OBXT is for the wife and after my pickup experience I can't justify NOT doing it when she keeps cars for as many miles as you do (nevermind the fact that it may save my wife from being stranded and then bitching at me). Well worth it in my case. Agree, I do the same with my G\F's WRX. Last thing I want is to get that phone call to come pick her along side of the road. The drive back home will not be a peaceful one if it something I did or didn't do. I push the limits on my car ,but back down a few notches for hers.

Of course, you have a few things the rest of us don't have like a slick oil system.

Yes, but what does that have to do with a cracked oil pick up tube.:rolleyes::spin::lol:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Put a new stock turbo in and leave it alone. Once you start moding your car you will never be satisfied and always something else new and faster part to put on.

Not sure the benefits of this. New stock VF40 is around $1200 and it will have the same problems and limitation as before. BNR is $750 and it's PNP and (relatively) bulletproof.

BNR is...(relatively) bulletproof.

This is an assumption and there is no validity to this claim. There are VF40 with over 200k miles on them and no BNR with anywhere near the mileage.

It is safe to say that the BNR should be as reliable as the OEM turbo and rebuildable as well. Anything else reliability wise is smoke and mirrors. That being said, I'd rather run a BNR than a vf series.

Here is my content...:rolleyes:

1990 Xj, ver. 6( i think)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/tc4keith/xj4-1.jpg

2002 Triumph 955i Daytona

Centennial Edition

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/tc4keith/20120920_204024.jpg

This is an assumption and there is no validity to this claim. There are VF40 with over 200k miles on them and no BNR with anywhere near the mileage.

It is safe to say that the BNR should be as reliable as the OEM turbo and rebuildable as well. Anything else reliability wise is smoke and mirrors. That being said, I'd rather run a BNR than a vf series.

Isn't the validity found in the success of the TD04 series in the Mitsu products? If I'm off in my understanding, I'd love to see data that points otherwise. But here, you see more VF40 series going south in the 80-120k range than would indicate to me they're anywhere near durable. True, maintenance plays a big role. A VF40 at 200k would be a statistical outlier from what I've read here...

Archived