LegacyGT.com

Install ideas / questions bout cubby etc

gfxdave99

Bumping post to see if theres been any progress on the cubby love...

The cubby project is still a work in progress. We've discovered that we can't use the existing cubby door, it's too thick. The next step is to fabricate a new door that is the exact same except thinner.

It's been a trying project but when/if it comes together it'll be sweet.

At the very least a kit will be made that allows you to install/mount a head unit like the other kit you can buy, but it'll probably be nicer and cheaper. :dm:

Hang in there guys, I'll let you know and thanks for the continued interest.

Ben

The cubby project is still a work in progress. We've discovered that we can't use the existing cubby door, it's too thick. The next step is to fabricate a new door that is the exact same except thinner.

It's been a trying project but when/if it comes together it'll be sweet.

At the very least a kit will be made that allows you to install/mount a head unit like the other kit you can buy, but it'll probably be nicer and cheaper. :dm:

Hang in there guys, I'll let you know and thanks for the continued interest.

Ben

Thanks for the update

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Instead of a door, what about something that just snaps onto the headunit. It probably wouldn't be too hard to modify the cubby door to snap onto or at least stick onto the headunit. It doesn't have to be a functional door, but even just covering the head unit would probably deter prying eyes, if that's the main focus. Anyway, it's just a thought I've had. Now it's just a matter of time to get to work on my cubby. I'm kinda dragging my feet on this one right now because I'm hoping and praying for a better solution, but I don't think one's coming. It'll have to be a 2nd head unit.

• 4 weeks later...
This project is still moving along, slowly. The last three weeks it has been stuck at a local plastics shop. We've submitted the prototype to see if they can produce it for us. The challenge is making to 90 degree bends very close together. I'm doing my best to push it through, but they're busy and I kinda don't want to rush them. I'll let you know when I do, my dash has been apart now for over two months!!!

• 3 months later...
This project is still moving along, slowly. The last three weeks it has been stuck at a local plastics shop. We've submitted the prototype to see if they can produce it for us. The challenge is making to 90 degree bends very close together. I'm doing my best to push it through, but they're busy and I kinda don't want to rush them. I'll let you know when I do, my dash has been apart now for over two months!!!

New Year.. new bump

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

:icon_frow Well, I'm sad to say that this project has officially died for now. The plastics shop never came back with any workable prototype. I guess there just wasn't enough $$ in it for them. And after 4 months of my dash being torn up I was through!!:icon_evil

So I just finished it off the cubby install by buying a removable face plate CD player, got my front and rear speakers, the two amps, a stiffening capacitor, and a few fans all installed. Now I'm rocking out to my new 60GB video iPod with an AUX connection connected via the 1V preout signal from the data port. :munch:

So the original project has been shelved, but I've still got the sweet Sony CD player. http://www.venditions.com/Store/display_item_detail.asp?system=1&prodid=18&categid=2&subcategid=2&itemid=CDX-M9905 So I can still work on the project as long as I don't sell it. BTW, anyone want to buy a brand new Sony CDX-9905 CD player?? :stupid:

So I'm sorry for the "fall-through", but I can't help provide a good stealth cubby solution right now. Good luck to all of you on your CD player installations. I know for sure that getting rid of the POS stock equip it way, way worth it!!!

I keep wondering if anyone else has considered using emachineshop.com for their custom install wants.

i just checked their site out, since they do make plastic items it miight be worth a shot

i just checked their site out, since they do make plastic items it miight be worth a shot

In small quantities, metal is probably cheaper since there's less tooling. Cheap being relative... emachineshop is reasonable for small production runs but for one-offs it's quite expensive. I've gone through all their software tutorials easily, but whenever I actually try to design my own widget I usually run into trouble. And I've not ordered anything from them... It's definitely fun to play with their design software though!

Archived