LegacyGT.com

DP exhaust wrap, avoid a fire

abakja1

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15539&page=3&pp=10&highlight=fire

Just getting more info on the above thread,..

Scotty overcharged me on my Stromung twin tip, so instead of getting a refund, I asked to just send a shorty DP to me instead,..

After reading about the fire in the above thread, it scared me,...Probably a isolated incident and more to do with the rewire of his O2 sensor, but enough damage to ask "how many of you are wrapping your dp" and is everyone doing this??

I know I couldve got the Crucial DP, but $300 compared to $200 (I paid just $75 more after refund from Stromung) is a small difference,..

Now, from what I know, I should trim any material on the firewall close the the dp, reuse my "modified" heat shield, and zip tie any loose wires. But should I and really need to use heat wrap and spray for a shorty?? Link about the heat wrap said that it would also damage the pipe in a few years, so that is a concern,..

Should I worry about a fire, or was it bad luck on that guy's part???

abakja1

Personally I think its a better idea to wrap the wiring with high temp tape and secure them properly than to wrap a pipe. Also most companies don't warranty there pipes that long if you install heat wrap.

02 cents..

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I would have loved to do the Crucial dp, but needed only to spend $75 more to get it,..For those of you who have dp already,..what precautions have you taken or have you seen any problems?? Do I really need to wrap my Helix up when I install it too,..Basically, just want to do any preventative/reliability measures so I dont have to do the same job twice. I know that I-Club members with full exhausts on their WRX/STIs dont have wraps,...

I guess the cheapest precaution for me like Ridgeracer suggested is to thermal tape any wiring and maybe put some thermal tape on the firewall insulation too instead of doing any cutting,..

any other suggestions?

They make a shorty which takes advantage of the 3rd cat.

I don't see any "advantage" to the 3rd cat. I know the 2nd is the most restrictive, but the 3rd ain't much better. I went w/ Cobb because of the HFC they use and how far down stream it is...basically where the 3rd stock cat is, just much more efficent.

Guest *Jedimaster*
But you'll notice the difference with the shorty- I had one on my WRX and left the stock 3rd cat. I'll bet adding a hfc wouldn't be anything you'd even feel in the seat of your pants.

I probably will themal coat the dp, still debating about the Helix uppipe though,..the Helix uppipe looks really nice being all shiny and all,..

BTW,..Does the heat coming off the uppipe have any hazards like being too close to any wires or contribute to the 3rd cylinder premature wear that Im unaware of (read in a Nasioc post)?? Cause if not, I wont coat up,..well if the cost is not much more when I coat dp,..maybe I will, but will hate to see the "bling factor" go,....

will make my decision on more inputs till the dp arrives,..

I've wrapped and sealed 3 dp's...one on my WRX, one on my STi, and one on my LGT. As long as you use a lot of the sealant to keep moisture out, there will be no ill effects to the DP. For the price, I say it is worth the effort. Coating is nice, and the real think ceramic coating works very well, but it's a lot more expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

I highly recommend heat wrapping a bare steel downpipe if you already have one, ESPECIALLY on a Legacy w/ the small hood scoop. A bare downpipe radiates an insane amount of heat essentially right under your intercooler. ...just look at how much exposed downpipe is inside of the engine compartment...

The intercooler heat soaks fast, which is actually a dangerous condition because your car has no clue. The intake air temperature sensor is integrated into the MAF sensor. The ECU adjusts timing based on the temperature as seen by the MAF sensor, and it assumes a certain intercooler efficiency. The car doesn't know the actual temperature of the air going into your engine (post intercooler). Sit at a stop light for a minute or two and drive hard shortly thereafter and you are likely to see detonation. It's really a somewhat retarded system....

Anyhooo -- definitely go nuts with the sealant spray on the heat wrap. Any fluids dripping onto the wrap and soaking in can lead to fires.

Even the spray can't keep condensation from being held against the metal though. This is my old downpipe after 20,000 miles. This is a really high-quality downpipe, btw... and it saw nearly all of its life in CA... limited amounts of rain, only two trips where it saw snow for a couple of days.

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/post-24-1123566300.jpg

So yeah, I'm a bit biased, but the cerametallic coating on the Crucial pipes does a really, really, really good job of keeping the heat inside of the pipes where it belongs, as well as protecting the metal from the corrosive elements in the exhaust gas and from the weather/outside elements...

And for those who wanted a high-flow, Crucial will be releasing a high-flow 3rd cat pipe in ~ a month to 1.5 months. Its design will make more sense than the current ones available, and I'm going to make it as affordable as possible with, of course, the usual Crucial quality and Lifetime Warranty :)

Jeremy

Where did you get the coating done at and how much does it cost?

Probably not worth your while cause I live in Hawaii,..

But I got it done at a place called High Tech Coating,..

Cost me $150 for up and dp,..or $75 each,...

Archived