LegacyGT.com

spare tire on spec.B

Dbl_D718

So I got a flat on my spec.B (not the first time) on the passenger rear. Put the spare on and started driving home. The rear diff was whining pretty noticeably though. I drove about 15 miles home, max of 55 mph. Maybe it's just my bad memory, but I don't remember it whining last time I used the spare.

Anyway, the owner's manual doesn't say the spare needs to go on the front or rear specifically. So does it matter? Is that whining not a big deal for short drives? Or longer? I'm afraid that with the holiday season, I might not be able to get a new tire for a few days at best.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

So I got a flat on my spec.B (not the first time) on the passenger rear. Put the spare on and started driving home. The rear diff was whining pretty noticeably though. I drove about 15 miles home, max of 55 mph. Maybe it's just my bad memory, but I don't remember it whining last time I used the spare.

Anyway, the owner's manual doesn't say the spare needs to go on the front or rear specifically. So does it matter? Is that whining not a big deal for short drives? Or longer? I'm afraid that with the holiday season, I might not be able to get a new tire for a few days at best.

That is a good question. I know every Subaru I have owned states to put the spare on the front. I can't imagine why it would be any different just for a spec B. If it's possible I would either not drive it or go get a tire pronto.

Well it does say to use the front only on automatics because then there's a fuse that can be pulled to disable the AWD system. It doesn't give any directions for MT that I noticed.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I've seen this brought up a few times with no final answer. It would seem insane for you to have to use the spare in a specific location, and for there NOT TO BE a million warning stickers all over the spare, or tire compartment.

Perhaps the whining is due to a different tread depth on the spare in comparison to the other three tires? Making the rolling circumference different. It is an AWD system, so the tread were must be pretty damn similiar. Perhaps a call to your dealer (most are open till one on saturdays) could clarify this.

Also, what kind of tires do you have that will take more than two business days to get (counting today as one)?!

Keep in mind the tread wear issue when replacing one tire. As i said above, they will have to be close to the reamining three. Some places can shave a new tire to the same circumference as the remaining tires depending on the difference. If your other tires are semi-worn, you may be looking at a larger bill than you anticipated. Ie - four tires.

Also, what kind of tires do you have that will take more than two business days to get (counting today as one)?!

They're just Conti DWS tires, but no one in town seems to stock them and being a holiday weekend, most places could order it but it wouldn't be delivered till Wednesday.

I did eventually find in the manual that it calls for the spare to be put on the rear, but it just makes me cringe to hear the diff whining like that. I have stock size tires that are probably still 80% and the spare looks nearly new.

I forgot to ask the shop if they'll shave the new tire...hopefully I can find someone in town that will.

I cant help you on this issue, but on a side note: how can you get a DWS so soon!? Ive been waiting for almost two months now becase conti doesnt make them this time of year. And ive had multiple shops call around to find any in the area, and no luck, it might be because im going for 235/55/17 as opposed to 225/5517 but that would be preposterous for them to produce one and not the other this time of year.

So the manual says the spare can only go on the rear?

Yup, that's what my manual says. Not sure where I thought I read the opposite like I said in post #3, but it definitely says rear only.

I called 3 local shops, all told me their warehouse had the DWS in stock in the stock spec.B size which is 215/45R18. The only problem was that they all said Wednesday was the earliest they could get it. The forth shop I called said it was early enough to have it added to their shipment for the day, so it's there waiting for me to go have it installed.

Damn. Good to know. Good luck sourcing a tire.

Guessing the whining is due to it being a slight different size. I would limit driving to essentially no driving, personally. Not sure if that's a possibility for you though.

Archived