LegacyGT.com

Shopping for a 2005-2007 LGT

RooTBeeR

Well na are only making like 110 at the wheel stock... that's not nearly enough for me so GT it is. And In order to be able to hear that wonderful Subie sound I would be putting exhaust probably an intake And a tune seems like it would be pretty easy to get, Net some Decent power without much effort.

I just got out of a 230whp, And I would like to get back into something it would be close to that... But with more traction haha

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this happened...

314552_4646711678956_277167764_n.jpg

ok, few things i noticed.

the brakes has a wobble/surge to them when cold, once warm started to go away...dealer said they do that after a wash and cold weather.

i heard a ticking sound from the engine on the drivers side. possible exhaust, maybe injectors? didnt really hear it from the passenger side.

and odd thing, but listening to the FM radio, turn on the rear defroster, radio goes to static. is this normal or should i get them to look at it, its really annoying for sure.

other than that, ...that cobalt ss was a pos compared to this thing :lol:

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

$14,998 "down from" $17,2xx

5EAT

55,130 Miles

05 gt ... what are the differences between the GT and the limited? Because it doesn't say limited on the trunk but some of the paperwork says limited on it

Black interior

supposedly was only by a 70 year old couple

painting as usual swirl marks front right bumper has a little scuff

headlights need a little polish

New tires

back seat looks like it was never used

runs smooth and quiet, shifts nice

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok cool then I do has teh limited

Yup, half or less than half the.miles of almost all of the others that were near me with all the options I wanted....basically the only unmolested one I could find, I just had to pay for it

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the brakes have a wobble/surge to them, faint but there.

Pulls to the right too.

listening to the FM radio, turn on the rear defroster, radio goes to static. is this normal or should i get them to look at it, its really annoying for sure.

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^ Definitely not a design feature. ;) Get 'em to look at it. Very occasionally, I'll get a random loud static sound out of my speakers. Usually, it only happens in the super cold when I drive to Maine in the winter. I assume it's just a loose wire somewhere. It's too intermittent for me to deal with it.

Pulls to the right is just an alignment issue. Get an alignment and you'll be good to go.

Brake issue may just be some build up/deposits/glazing on your rotors. You can try bedding them in a little bit to clean 'em up. Basically do a couple really hard slow downs from ~50-60 down to about ~20. Do it somewhere where you can do it safely without somebody behind you.

Is that Atlantic Blue Pearl (tough to tell in the pic)? Best color choice, imo. ;)

That is a pretty high price for an '05, but that is ridiculously low mileage for one also, so I'd say reasonably well bought.

Don't know how much you've read about the 05s by now, but in case you haven't already found out heard about it, the 05s do have a couple fairly minor known design flaws. First is that there is a banjo bolt with a filter in it in the turbo oil feed line. This is designed to keep the oil in the turbo extra clean, but it has the potential to clog up. If the filter becomes clogged, it can (will) lead to oil starvation of the turbo ... which is bad. ;) You can check the filter regularly or remove it. Search here for lots more details.

The other poor design choice has to do with an extra catalytic converter in the up pipe (ahead of the turbo). This was originally included to help with cold start emissions, but if your exhaust temps spike too high, it can cause the cat to melt and send metal pieces through the turbo ... which is also bad. A used sti uppipe (search here and nasioc) is the best value on replacing the up. However, you can get a nice new one for ~$100 - ~$125, so this is a pretty high return on investment in terms of piece of mind/preventative maintenance. No tune required for just an uppipe. If you down or intake though, you'll definitely need a tune.

Enjoy your new LGT! They are awesome. ;)

Nearly $15,000 for an '05 AT?! You are smoking something to pay that. Sure it has "low miles" but dang.

Oh well - we all do what we have to.

Edit: Dujo stated the same thing to me a few months back and I heeded his advice and did the Banjo bolt and Catless UP immediately. Preventative maintenance and destruction IMO.

Alright, thanks for the tips/heads up.

Yeah seems like a lot for a 7 y/o car, but it really is clean, and I was having trouble finding any other ones anywhere else with all the options I wanted.

And even the ones that did they were already modded which I didn't want, and they were not California cars, and had 2x the miles, and they were only a few grand less.

1 other thing, I got the gage sweep to turn off, but the red rings on the cluster wont. with it on or off it doesn't make a difference.

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't seem to find any YouTube vids/sound clips of any LGTs with stainless works/dynomax super turbo chambered mufflers.

I might just get two flowmaster DBX mufflers on there...want no rasp, but also as close to stock quiet as possible under normal driving, but louder than stock while WOT.

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube clips of exhaust sounds: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/exhaust-audio-video-clip-compilation-thread-102170.html

I have no idea if the exhaust you're looking at is listed in there, but I don't recall seeing it. Borla catback tends to be a little bit quieter than Magnaflow. Personally, I think that's among the quieter aftermarket catbacks. It is louder than stock at idle and wot, but fyi ... I don't seem to turn any heads on the street when I stomp on it, so it may be a good compromise close to what you are looking for.

The Borla also seems to be a lot more rumbly than raspy, but I sort of thought that equal length headers (raspy) vs unequal length headers (rumbly boxer ftw ... uel is stock, fyi) had more effect on raspy vs. rumbly than the catback. However, I admit that I am expert in no area relating to these cars, so always take my advice with a grain of salt. ;)

Fyi ... you can always try an aftermarket up and down pipe with the stock catback. That may get you exactly the sound you are looking for. Should be a little louder than totally stock, but certainly won't rumble anybody's pants off. Try that first as it's the cheapest catback option (free for the stock cans already on there).

I run Cobb catted down w/Borla catback (Cobb up, stock uel headers). There's an example of that (not mine) as the second vid posted in the thread. Enjoy!

Stupid cali wont let me touch anything with/north of any emissions components though...i had enough of a pita going back and forth between stock for emissions tests and back to modded...i'll do some checking

i actually went through that thread a few days ago too, but thanks for the link.

i came from a cobalt ss/sc, which get more raspy than a honda if you go catless and no resonator lol so maybe im over reacting. i actually just need to go to a local meet and hear some in person i think...i cant say that ive heard a turbo subie that didnt sound good though haha

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oooh. Cali. Sorry. ;)

It's the uel headers providing that "boxer rumble". As many on here are fond of saying ... ah, the sound of inefficiency.

Supposedly, el headers can make slightly better power. And sound a lot more like a Honda. Look for some youtube goodness of uel vs el headers (the examples I've seen were on a wrx, but same difference in this case) and you can get a sense of it.

I'm not entirely sure why Subaru uses uel headers from the factory. Is it a fitment issue? A boxer rumble marketing thing? I'll bet it's been answered somewhere on these forums before though. Maybe some other enterprising member will search and post a link for us on this point, since I'm too lazy to do it right now. ;)

Buy my wagon. 05 5EAT with 70xxx miles. Well maintained with records, stage 2 with cobb downpipe and sti up pipe, transmission cooler / thermostat, custom e-tune from Cryo.

I'm only half serious about selling it and you'd have to fly to VA and drive back or have it shipped, but if I had a buyer I would consider selling it off to go on the hunt for a 5MT wagon.

Ok you and I need to talk because I think you are they guy my co-worker is talking about. His name is Jeremy, who had a Legacy Wagon back in the day with like a stage 4 setup doing over 400whp.

is there a decent gain from just a tune on 91?

Not much from just a tune. You should either need to get a new UP/DP or stay stock. There's minimal performance gain for tuning on 91 CA gas. Everywhere else, the gas is better and there are performance improvements to be had from Stage 1.

From a purely legal perspective:

SPT exhaust is CARB certified. It sounds like AEM intake and probably SPT intake are as well.

Any mods beyond that are NOT legal. This includes gutting the up-pipe and getting a new DP (even if it has a cat). Generally, a stage 2 car with a catted downpipe will still pass a sniffer, but you could potentially fail a visual inspection. The risk depends on how observant/tolerant the person doing the inspection is.

Not much from just a tune. You should either need to get a new UP/DP or stay stock. There's minimal performance gain for tuning on 91 CA gas. Everywhere else, the gas is better and there are performance improvements to be had from Stage 1.

From a purely legal perspective:

SPT exhaust is CARB certified. It sounds like AEM intake and probably SPT intake are as well.

Any mods beyond that are NOT legal. This includes gutting the up-pipe and getting a new DP (even if it has a cat). Generally, a stage 2 car with a catted downpipe will still pass a sniffer, but you could potentially fail a visual inspection. The risk depends on how observant/tolerant the person doing the inspection is.

erghh... :confused:

CARB doesn't care about stuff behind the catalytic converter

Archived