LegacyGT.com

Overheating

So i recently did my timing belt and water pump about a month and a half ago because my water pump went out. So with that being said I finally what seemed liked fixed my cars overheating problem. But it didn't, I'm not leaking any fluid anywhere but my car slowly starts to go above the middle when I'm idling.. Like if I'm at a red light my car will start to rise in temp. I never goes extremely high and as soon as I start to gas it goes back down to where it should be. There's zero signs of a blown head gasket so I know that's not the problem. My fans do turn on when they are supposed to. So I'm sorta stumped. Remember now it only happens during long idling and it's not consistent. Sometimes it rises in temp and sometimes it doesn't. Could it be that I haven't fully got all the air out of my system? I thought I did but maybe not? Oh and it's a 96 Subaru legacy.

Sounds like you still have air in the system. I would take the radiator cap off and open the bleeder valve on the passenger side of the radiator. Squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses too (warning: if your radiator hoses are really old do this at your own risk).

Or your thermostat may be faulty. Only use OEM subaru thermostats as our cars are picky in this regard. They are only about $25.

did you replace the t-stat when you did the head gaskets?

if so did you use a ''subaru'' t-stat?

after market ones are known to cause issues.

1. subaru t-stat

2. drain down the coolant and re-fill correctly.

3. burp the cooling system

for more info search ''coolant burp siphon''

Archived