LegacyGT.com

Front End Noise

The shimmy is nonexistent at 40. It starts at 65 and goes away just before 80. The noise starts at 40 and goes till about 60. The noise and shimmy never occur together. Its like I trade the noise for the shimmy at 60-65

Its always at the same speed. I don't feel a "build up". It just starts at 65, shimmys equally till 80. No peak but fades out at 80.

I haven't tried changing psi. I'll have to do this tomorrow and report back on those last questions.

Hey, me too (except my noise is the rear left, but shimmy is obviously fronts). Saved me the time of typing up what mine does - :lol:

Brand new tires and rims were installed - same noise persisted.

One thing to add: when I installed those R-Rev rear braces, the noise increased dramatically in the rear.

• 3 years later...

I have a 2012 Legacy with 32K miles. Just had the 30K mile check up, including tire rotation. Now once the car is warmed up (2 miles), the wumping sound is occurring. The tires can go to next year, so it may or may not be the tires. The 2011 Outback we have makes no sound. I'm inclined to think wheel bearings at 32K, just beginning. there is no change in pitch as you turn (my old Honda Civic and Dodge Omni had that noise).

Is there anything I can check? I'm thinking of having someone drive next to it and see if a wheel is bouncing - slipped belt or some such. I have a 600 mile trip coming up tomorrow, so I need a quick fix....

Thanks in advance.

Wheel bearings would be a like whirling noise. Eventually get so bad you can't hear your radio anymore.

Did they do a roadforce balance or just a regular balance? I've had to get a roadforce every time because 3 times now, with just doing a basic balance, the car would shake like a paint mixer on the highway. Two different sets of tires. Two different tire places. One I went to twice. Finally just had the dealership do the roadforce.

Archived