LegacyGT.com

Rear defrost issue

Screamin

I noticed last weekend my rear defrost isn't working. I just figured it was a loose connector. Today I took the time to start looking at the issue.

I took the c pillar covers off and seen the connectors are hooked up. I broke out the multimeter and started checking it out. I checked every-which-way you can think of for voltage. Power wire it getting plenty of power, ground wire is good, filaments in the window are good.

When I hook up the ground wire to the filament connector, that's when it does not work, no voltage. I figured something was wrong with the two connectors when connected so I made my own ground. I drilled a small hole in the c pillar, sanded the paint off around the hole, wrapped some 14 gauge wire around it, used a male connector crimped and all. Hooked everything up......nothing. No voltage again.

WTF? Anyone have an idea?

I tested the window, had the power cable hooked up and checked volts, worked every single time I checked it.

Just in case anyone is wondering how I did that. I had the ground cable disconnected, red wire from multimeter on ground connection of window, and black wire from multimeter grounded to car. I used this ground on the car every time and had no issues.

I will break out the test light this weekend but I did however check for amps....I couldn't find any. I tested the positive wire, in parallel, to the window. For shits and giggles I tested window to ground. All I seen on my multimeter was 0.00-0.01. I don't know if it's my multimeter or if there really isn't any amps flowing through the system. I even switched around the relay with a known good relay, same outcome.

Archived