LegacyGT.com

6 month mark problem list.

Ok 6month mark just past and here are alist of problems so far.

Problems resolved

Wind noise at 34mph+ Replaced door mirror

Windscreen/windsheild water leak. Resealed in spot where it leaked.

Front wheel arch trim was loose Glued to strip.

Problems yet to be resolved

Break lines banging against firewall when cold---------------------------------- An attempt to jam weather sealer has proved to be a temp relief.

Drivers seat when at its lowest point squeeks on entry------------------ No responce from subaru.

Sunvisor under moon roof slides back. -------------------------------- No fix yet

(when under hard accelaration)

Mystery clunk every now and then when I change gear. ----------- No known cause.

Also noted is that my cabin airfilter is of the one that needs to be retrofitted but is not in the recall list. :(

The sun visor thing bugs the hell out of me. Think I'm going to simply build up the thickness of the lip at the front with some stick on velcro (the soft part not the part with the loops)

+1

Definitely bothersome, but relatively minor compared to what owners of the Toureag and LR3 are grappling with-always an amusing read on edmunds.com. Imagine being stuck 100 miles from nowhere with your suspension deflated to the bumpstops...

BTW, the mysterious clunk is, I believe, another endearing Suby character flaw. It has reared its noisy self with all of my previous Suby's, though has not made itself known as yet on my OBXT.

About the clunk, this may help from Unabomber's Shifting FAQ at http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...threadid=587096 :

When I shift from 1st to 2nd, there is a thump sound coming from the rear end of the car. What causes this? The thump is the rear differential hitting either the cross member or the bottom of your car. This is caused by driveline shock due to aggressive driving and shifting. This type of driveline shock is a direct result of maximum acceleration. A thump from the rear end can occur with any shift, but most commonly occurs during the 1-2 shift due to it having the greatest internal transmission speed differential between first and second gear.

How to I remove the thump sound? Many people have experienced a reduction in rear differential noise by the installation of stiffer STi transmission mounts and/or differential mounts. The wisdom of this method is highly debated though. Common sense thought processes indicate that the stiffer mounts only transfer the shock to internal transmission and differential components. The ultimate cure is to modify the shifting technique where the driveline shock occurs.

How do I shift without the thump? You should wait until the point where you are no longer pressed into the back of your seat to let the clutch out on your second gear shift. As to the actual application of this technique:

1. You are in first gear, taking it to your favorite shift RPM.

2. Once you reach this RPM, let off the gas pedal and depress the clutch.

3. Shift into second. (Items 2 & 3 can be done quickly)

4. "The wait". Judge it based on your body's movement. Visualize your pelvis as the axis....when the rearward pressure of acceleration leaves your body and you feel as if you can naturally lean forward at the waist.....this is the shift point.

5. Release the clutch.

This is a shifting technique that requires some practice due to variances from car to car. Yes, it's slower, but better for your rear differential and transmission in the long run.

Plus, read the whole shifting FAQ for some really good info.

I keed I keeed

Sunvisor under moon roof slides back. -------------------------------- No fix yet (when under hard accelaration)

I hope that is a wagon only thing. That will bug the hell outta me if that is the case with the sedan. Anyone else experienced that?

Out of your list the only problem I've had (after 8 months and 10k miles) on my Legacy GT Ltd wagon is the sunroof visor sliding back under hard acceleration. I just noticed that recently. I agree, it's a little annoying, but not a big deal.

The other problem I had was the gasket on the body that goes around the window on the rear passenger's side door was falling out. Got it fixed once at a dealer, then it started falling out again. Got it fixed again at another dealer and it's doing OK so far.

-Matt

Archived