LegacyGT.com

No Compression EJ22T. Curiousity questions

I am going to post this here from another forum.

So my brother and I bought a 93 Legacy SS today. 5 speed silver.

Motor has no compression. Got it for a pretty decent deal (shell price).

Few questions. We are doing a full tear down and rebuild. Bearings, Piston, rings, all that. This is all assuming the block halves are OKAY. We will see. Motor will be torn down this week.

We are going to be using 25D heads. Does Cometic make a gasket for that build that maintains 8:1 compression (or in that range).

What do I do for injectors? Will the stock 93 SS injectors swap over? Anything other than the IM and some plumbing? Will the stock ECU run this? Everything else will be stock.

Thanks

11/26/2012 - Today (at the time of posting here)

We got the car into the garage and onto the lift in preparation for the tear down tomorrow.

Got a good question for all of you. And this is a mind **** to me and some others. Maybe one of you has an explanation.

Took the valve covers off. Oil looks good. Almost no varnish on the covers. However every single intake valve is stuck OPEN. Yes. All of them. Both sides.

Timing belt is spot on. DOHC heads will cause an issue? Maybe I will have the stock ones gone through.

So got a head off. TONS of sludge which is probably what caused all the intake valves to stick. Yes...All 4 are open lol. Odd I know. Very odd. Never seen that on a Subaru engine.

Block will be split tomorrow. However main cause of no compression was sludge keeping all intake valves open (regardless of where the crank/cam was).

So time for a tear down and an OEM rebuild with ACL bearings and new rings. As long as there is nothing wrong with the crank and parts before than. Hopes are up.

I recently split my spare 22T w/160k block and the bearings looked practically brand new!

Don't forget to check the oil squirters. They fall out sometimes. One of mine is missing. If I end up replacing it I would want to use locttite to prevent it from happening again.

I see 20G heads come up for sale every now and then. The cheapest I have found them is $300. Of course you also would need the intake mani. I might go this route with my SS at some point. However, the stock heads are fine even though everyone complains about them. With a tmic, td04, and an mbc you can get a lot out of them. I have two spare sets of 22T heads, lol.

I have heard people using EJ22E head which I think have bigger intake ports.

My machine shop in forest grove (DVC Machine) has a torque plate for the EJ22 if you need it re honed. He can also have the head check and rebuilt if needed. If you go there let him know I sent you and he will hook you up

Archived