LegacyGT.com

Future Turbo Project

Hey everyone, first time posting on the Forums, sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy L Wagon (pic attached, I've since put on wheels from a 2001 WRX) that I'd like to (eventually) put a lot of work into. It's in amazing condition as it is (bought it Jul 2011 with 110k miles on it), however, I love tinkering under the hood.

While living in Japan, a friend of mine working at an auto garage / salvage yard gave me a turbocharger that he claimed to be out of a Skyline. It's not terribly huge or terribly small and I figure with the right amount of time and money put into the project, it could find a comfortable home in my little Legacy.

Problem is, I don't know a whole lot about turbo systems. I've browsed some DIY websites and know a few of the basics, like where it goes, connecting tubes etc, but some people and sources I've heard from say that there are several electrical components, internal seals, etc that will probably have to be upgraded in order to withstand the increased temperatures and pressure in and around the engine system.

So my question is: Does anyone here have knowledge of doing their own turbo installations, or know who I can talk to about it? Is it more trouble than it's worth in the end?

Thanks guys!

91Legacy.jpg.6a492411047f449fa02f6712391c014e.jpg

Read the Turbo FAQ from the second gen stickies for starters: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-engine-faq-turbos-mpg-engine-builds-engine-swaps-167968.html

You can turbo charge your 22E, but you will need to install a standalone em, tap your heads for oil, tap for coolant to the turbo, possibly new head gaskets, at the very least. You will also need a cross member from a turbo legacy or a wrx to accomadate the complete new exhaust system you will need.

You are better off doing another engine swap or buying a wrecked WRX and swapping everything over. Some have built up the 22Es and turbocharged them with good results, but it isn't cheap and for the money you could get a 257 or a 205.

Plenty of people have done swaps in their first gens. A good resource for first gen turbo swaps, and everything else is lhttp://bbs.legacycentral.org/index.php.

Start saving your money! :)

Monkey, thanks much for the info. Definitely sounds like too much trouble in the end, especially considering I don't even have a garage to do the work in at this point.

Who knows though. I'll keep it in the back of my mind for now. Thanks again!

Archived