LegacyGT.com

Found adapters 5x100 to 5x114.3

chucktoo

Found two sources of hub adapters:

http://www.forperformance.com/wtspacer.html

Can get 5x100mm to 5x114.3mm that are 15 mm thick for $110 per pair - ask for Mike

Has thicker adapters 1" ans 1.25" thick

http://www.ezaccessory.com/.sc/ms/dd/1105739468397354/9/nc/Wheel%20Adapters--5%20Lug%20%28Pattern%20Conversion%29/123/Wheel%20Adapter%205%20Lug%20100%20To%205%20Lug%204%2E5%26quot%3B

Now there is a large chhoice of wheels available - how large do you want to go ?

I was just pondering this situation. Why would subaru (or other manufacturers) do this? What's the difference (beyond size, obviously) that the 5x100 and 5x114.3 bolt pattern makes, in relation to the car? Is it because of stress on the driveline? or something else?

it's a torque issue.

Keefe

And as a result, a car like the STi can produce more torque? So, would adding one of these adapters change the characteristics of the 'torque' band in the LGT? I am sure that since you would be able to add wider wheels/tires that the 5x114.3 would produce a slight effect? Would it be detrimental, in any way? TIA for the responses!

Torque is Torque - ft - lb - force at a radius

For 114.3m diameter the shear force on the bolts is 14% less than 100 mm = a little stronger.

114.3 mm gives you a much larger selection of wheels.

For 114.3m diameter the shear force on the bolts is 14% less than 100 mm = a little stronger.

I believe that in a flanged coupling, as a wheel essentially is, the torque is transmitted through the mating faces not through the bolts. The bolts are just there to keep the driving faces together, there should be no shear forces on the bolts at all.

It could be a metric / imperial thing, or it could be a strength issue with the wheels / hub.

if that was the case, then why bother torquing down the lugs at 80 lbs vs some of the 5x120 bolt pattern typical torque specs at 100 lbs? There are lateral forces at play as well. Ever seen a bolt sheer off?

In all, the bolts are there for a reason as well as spacing. This goes back to having a center lug bolt vs. 5 bolt pattern.. when you really look at it, why do some cars are 4, 5 and 6 lugs?

Keefe

Keefe

if that was the case, then why bother torquing down the lugs at 80 lbs vs some of the 5x120 bolt pattern typical torque specs at 100 lbs? There are lateral forces at play as well. Ever seen a bolt sheer off?

In all, the bolts are there for a reason as well as spacing. This goes back to having a center lug bolt vs. 5 bolt pattern.. when you really look at it, why do some cars are 4, 5 and 6 lugs?

Keefe

That could also have something to due with the pitch of the thread and or composition of the studs..just thinking out loud.

So, by this you mean that the 114.3 mm gives you greater strength? or is it the 100mm that gives it greater strength? I would assume it's the 114.3 mm that's stronger...

Now, suppose you do add something like this to the LGT, what types of effect would it have on the car? the drivetrain, the diffs? etc. I know the STi incorporates the bigger pattern...but again, stock it's putting out a bit more power than the LGT. So what's the reasoning that the LGT only gets the 5x100 spacing?

And yes, I can see how you would have MANY more options for rims, with this piece...but then wouldn't you have to worry about clearance/offset, or does that type of issue just remain as is, with closest to stock offset being the most preferential?

Keefe

I agree on that, large cornering forces could break off a poorly tightened or weakened stud, but then the bolt is under tensile stress not shear stress. I still believe that if the nuts are tightened correctly, there should be no shear stresses in the studs. If there were, the designers would have used fitted bolts not clearance bolts.

The more torque you want to put through a wheel, the greater the clamping force you need, thats why more powerful cars have 6 bolts, and civics have 4 bolts.

If the adapters are 15 mm thick, doesn't that mean you will have to find a +60 mm offset rim in order to have the equivalent of a + 45 mm offset? If so, I think your list of available 5X114.3 rims just shrunk quite a bit.

If the adapters are 15 mm thick, doesn't that mean you will have to find a +60 mm offset rim in order to have the equivalent of a + 45 mm offset? If so, I think your list of available 5X114.3 rims just shrunk quite a bit.

That is correct!

So for all of you thinking of getting these hub adapters, now you have to find even HIGHER offsets to make the rims work.

Keefe

Keefe

sounds like alot more trouble than simply finding 5-100 bolt wheels.. Now what I would like to know is if you are saying that the sti requires additional lug strenth due to added stress from power/torque, what happens when we increase power/ torque in the legacy? I cant honestly see that being an issue.. I guess you learn something new everyday..

I have been lookimg for 18x10s in 5x100 with a 10 mm offset. If you know where to find them please let me know. I would just as soon not use the adapters.

I can find them in 5x114.3 with a 25 mm offset so a 15 mm adapater works just fine.

Archived